Orient Watch Production

Interesting video, scary how fast modern automated production techniques are.

I know a number of people who rate Orient watches - I.m not really into autos so they've never interested me, but they look quite reasonable.

Me for one.

Orient make some very nice watches, easily on a par with Citizen and Seiko at the corresponding price point (if not better). They have made some very nice manual winders in the past too and although their current mechanical catalogue is dominated by autos, they do have a very nice looking manual wind pocket watch in their line up.

Interestingly enough they have in the past shared a number of design characteristics with Seiko (magic lever auto wind for one) which could well indicate a degree of collaboration between Orient and Seiko at some point.

Absolutely right Marc, Orient watches are very resilient and sometimes I wonder if even better than their Seiko counterparts...Seiko owns about 50% of Orient I understand, no wonder they share. As it is, they are the largest manufacturers of mechanical/autos movements in Japan and one of the largest in the world. Great, tough and hard working divers too.

Cheers,

Bob

Absolutely right Marc, Orient watches are very resilient and sometimes I wonder if even better than their Seiko counterparts...Seiko owns about 50% of Orient I understand, no wonder they share. As it is, they are the largest manufacturers of mechanical/autos movements in Japan and one of the largest in the world. Great, tough and hard working divers too.

Cheers,

Bob

I didn't know that Seiko had a stake in Orient Bob, but as you say, it does explain some of the similarities in the movement architecture. 

You're right too about their divers which have a very good reputation in both the under water and "desk" diver communities; one that I'm really quite keen to get my hands on though is the "Bambino" dress watch. I have seen them advertised for as little as £87 brand spanking new, which for an all S/S watch with a good pedigree is peanuts. Lovely clean classic design too which I very much like.