Life span of ETA 255.563

This site has great members, I ask a question and get helpful, quick replies. I have another question about my Longines With the ETA 255.563 movement. I've searched many forums trying to find details about my watch and based on info found, I’m guessing it was made between 1990 to 1993. It is in mint condition and looks like was never worn. I've been comparing it to the NIST atomic clock and it has not lost or gained one second. Considering the movement is about 28 years old, how many more years might it last?

Thanks,
henryr

s-l1600.jpg

longine vip 255563.jpg

It's impossible to say how long it will last, because that depends on how long it has continuously run for and how many times it has been serviced, if at all.

How long have you had it and has it been running for all the time you have had it? It may very well not have been running for the total time since it was produced in the 90's, but it will run a lot longer if it is serviced.

It might also of had the movement replaced since the watch was made, as is the case with cheaper ETA quartz movements.

As far as perfect time, even in high accuracy quartz watches, they will gain or lose 10 seconds a year.

Again members here are great making this the most active site I've seen.  I didn't know the ETA255.563 was considered a cheaper movement, but the movement does look like new. And considering the watch is about 28 years old and is in such mint condition, maybe it was without a battery for some years. but that will never be known. I'm hesitant to sending it to Longines, since it is in such great cosmetic condition and it may come back with scratches.

I have many 1980 ETA quartz movements which run perfectly. There is virtually no torque in the wheel train of a quartz, so wear isn’t usually a problem. Most common issues are a broken coil, battery leak, or water ingress. On poorly sealed cases dust ingress can also be an issue. 

So, how many more years? Probably many. 

The bracelet on the 1990 to 1993 VHPs strikes me as a poor design. While it is a beautiful bracelet, it relies on friction, and no other locking features. How long do these bracelets last before they don't lock securely and is one supposed to  use pliers to squeeze the frame when it doesn't lock securely?

The reason for the question is I would like to remove one link to make it a better fit for me. However, if I do that I will not be able to get my finger between  the locking frame and the link right next to were it locks, to allow a straight up pull. What should I do?

Tanks,

henryr

Your question has too many variables? As it's a wristwatch eventually the gaskets in the crowd in the back will disintegrate and whatever is holding the crystal in. Plastics don't necessarily last forever and when they break down do they release bad chemicals for the watch or do they just break down and let moisture in which would be bad also. Then there is the lubrication issue? if the lubrication dries up the pivots running dry they probably won't wear perhaps. But the setting parts not that you're setting it every day but those are usually high friction parts. Plus if any moisture gets in and you get a little bit of rust makes a great grinding compound. Then the electronics we don't know enough about the design of the electronics whether that will fail at some point in time. 

https://deployant.com/review-one-smart-watch-longines-conquest-v-h-p/

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f9/history-longines-vhp-320107.html

Hi  As JohnR says too many variables to compute, looked after and cared for could last another 20 years. I have an omega from the 40s gold case and bracelet Still running no poblems   and a Kered I got when I was 21 and that was a long time ago and it still runs so really the answer is how long is a piece of string ?   just enjoy owning it and look afer it.