Helbro Service - What Glass size?

Hi All,

After 6 months of starting out of Seiko 5's I am going to service my Helbros (No idea what model it his if anyone can help?) watch I picked up about a year ago. 

From what I have read online you have you access the movement through the Glass as there is no catch/screw on the back. I am looking to replace the acrylic with mineral glass. From the measuring the current glass it measures 30.4mm but has the tendency to fall out if knocked. Will me pushing in 30.5mm mineral glass instead of acrylic cause any issues or really is it just trial and error?

Big step for me as i really have only worked on Seiko's

Helbros.thumb.jpg.ad1dcf17127def4ff56175c0f09dfb1e.jpg1468043995_Helbrosback.thumb.jpg.4550b5b484ee7d51c3dc22dd4abc7fae.jpg

I don't know how a mineral  glass is going to work out for you. In my experience  with that kind of case where the movement  is serviced through  the front  you need a crystal  that is easily removable from the front. Acrylic  fits the bill. Mineral  glass  is not compressible. You might get  it in..but getting  it out would  be a giant  PITA. You should  also have a two piece stem there.the movement  tilts out from the front.

Hi It certainly looks like a snap back case, but thats not to say the movement doesn't come through the front If so as Yankeedog says it would be a PIA if you need to be in the movement through a mineral glass. It looks like its an acrylic and can be removed using the claw. 

On 4/19/2020 at 4:49 PM, yankeedog said:

I don't know how a mineral  glass is going to work out for you. In my experience  with that kind of case where the movement  is serviced through  the front  you need a crystal  that is easily removable from the front. Acrylic  fits the bill. Mineral  glass  is not compressible. You might get  it in..but getting  it out would  be a giant  PITA. You should  also have a two piece stem there.the movement  tilts out from the front.

You were correct comes through the front with a split stem. I have also taken you advise and gone for acrylic in 3 sizes so i can get the right fit. 

Also if anyone was interested it is a PEW 1463 movement seems really good condition so hopefully I can pull this one off and service it to full strength. I have taken photos throughout the disassembly as I cant find too much info online in regards to photographs of this movement and will post them in a separate chain.    

IMG_20200422_185537.jpg

38 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi had a root round the net sure its PEW1463  and not a PUW1463 Had a look on Ranfft web site and found the spec for a PEW1463,  Have a look google    ranfft PEW1463.

PUW1463 - Correct thats a typo by me