Seiko 7A38

Geo

Here's a photo of one my all time favourite watches and probably the last watch in my extensive collection that I would part with, and it's .................QUARTZ.

I purchased it new back in 1984, from H. Samuel in Chester for the sum of £200. I saw it on the first day of my holiday, and thought if it was still there on the last day and I had enough money left, I was buying it. The watch has run every day since, except during battery changes, which I have always changed before it ran out. It still keeps as close to perfect time as makes no difference, and has never been serviced! The watch is totally original and there are still remnants of the original polythene on the back of the case.

What is it?

post-124-0-56624800-1422357750_thumb.jpg

It's a Seiko Quartz 1/10th second Chronograph fitted with a 7a38 movement and is the World's First Analogue Quartz Chronograph with day and date. The watch was made in October 1983.

• Like 1

Awesome watches, Geo and Will, there are both gorgeous in their own style! I don't really favor one over the other (wish I had both! :)  ), but Geo's grabbed my attention immediately for its combination of colors and preservation. Don't get me wrong, I love the Omega...just the same ...aaarg! I love both watches!!!! :pulling-hair-out:

Cheers,

Bob

:)

Both nice looking watches, that Seiko is in great condition for the age, I think they've gone for the AP Royal Oak look.

post-124-0-65914800-1422519315_thumb.jpg

You certainly got that one right Ray, and I think the Seiko looks better! :)

Edited by Geo
  • Like 1

Great job spotting a future classic back in the day.....!

Thanks Anil, it certainly is a classic, but I just got lucky. It was a case of seeing something that I thought was so beautiful that I just had to have it. I've still got the original crappy plastic box and instructions for it. :)

• 1 month later...

Here's a photo of one my all time favourite watches and probably the last watch in my extensive collection that I would part with, and it's .................QUARTZ.

I purchased it new back in 1984, from H. Samuel in Chester for the sum of £200. I saw it on the first day of my holiday, and thought if it was still there on the last day and I had enough money left, I was buying it. The watch has run every day since, except during battery changes, which I have always changed before it ran out. It still keeps as close to perfect time as makes no difference, and has never been serviced! The watch is totally original and there are still remnants of the original polythene on the back of the case.

What is it?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

It's a Seiko Quartz 1/10th second Chronograph fitted with a 7a38 movement and is the World's First Analogue Quartz Chronograph with day and date. The watch was made in October 1983.

If you were wondering what model is this 7A38, it is a Seiko 7A38-7020. Indeed a very nice quartz chronograph.

You're welcome, George. I have ben collecting Seiko 7Axx, 7Txx and other minor models in the past 2 years since I started following a dedicated forum on the matter, extremely well done and documented on these particular quartz models: seiko7a38.com. I found it researching how to restore my late father's 7A34-7010, and people there were extremely helpful in guiding me on the right path.