Unitas 6497-1 Balance Incabloc Assemblies

I've recently acquired my ETA 6497-1 movement after completing Mark's first 3 modules.  I felt empowered, but underestimated my limitations.  I've been reading everything I can , including on this forum, and some books, i.e. DeCarle's, etc.  I was anticipating a kif type spring, but discovered the spring holding down the cap stones are of the Novodiac variety.  I foolishly attempted to remove one without the requisite experience, and pinged it.  It's gone.  Otto Frei's website says it's a few weeks for delivery.  I was going to order their assortment of 5 incabloc settings on which to practice disassembling, oiling the endstones, observing the bubble, etc. 

I found a video on removal/replacemnent of the Novodiac spring/incabloc ass'y.  I've turned down a piece of brass rod to 1.4 mm, and roughed up the end to use as a tool to assist.  It seems the method is to get one "section" of the three under the ways, rotate, repeat, and voila.  I feel I can do it now, but don't have a spring. 

I'm humbly asking if anyone has perhaps a small supply of Novodiac springs, might I please buy one from you?  I'd like to get the movement back together, but the pandemic has deliveries delayed for a better part of a month.  If so, feel free to PM me. 

If so, I'd be very appreciative, I'd pay postage, and whatever price you desire.  Thank you all.   

Edited by SparkyLB

15 minutes ago, SparkyLB said:

I've recently acquired my ETA 6497-1 movement after completing Mark's first 3 modules.  I felt empowered, but underestimated my limitations.  I've been reading everything I can , including on this forum, and some books, i.e. DeCarle's, etc.  I was anticipating a kif type spring, but discovered the spring holding down the cap stones are of the Novodiac variety.  I foolishly attempted to remove one without the requisite experience, and pinged it.  It's gone.  Otto Frei's website says it's a few weeks for delivery.  I was going to order their assortment of 5 incabloc settings on which to practice disassembling, oiling the endstones, observing the bubble, etc. 

I found a video on removal/replacemnent of the Novodiac spring/incabloc ass'y.  I've turned down a piece of brass rod to 1.4 mm, and roughed up the end to use as a tool to assist.  It seems the method is to get one "section" of the three under the ways, rotate, repeat, and voila.  I feel I can do it now, but don't have a spring. 

I'm humbly asking if anyone has perhaps a small supply of Novodiac springs, might I please buy one from you?  I'd like to get the movement back together, but the pandemic has deliveries delayed for a better part of a month.  If so, feel free to PM me. 

If so, I'd be very appreciative, I'd pay postage, and whatever price you desire.  Thank you all.   

I don't have a spring, but I want to share my cap-jewel technique: I place the watch in a plastic bag that I get from a grocery store—you know, the very thin bags that we get shopping. I place the watch inside a bag while removing delicate parts and when things fly it is almost certain to be in the bag. It is inconvenient but it works. Looking down into the bag and working is really kind of crazy, but I know my limitations and it is a trick that works for me. Good luck! 

Regards.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DavidMasters said:

I don't have a spring, but I want to share my cap-jewel technique: I place the watch in a plastic bag that I get from a grocery store—you know, the very thin bags that we get shopping. I place the watch inside a bag while removing delicate parts and when things fly it is almost certain to be in the bag. It is inconvenient but it works. Looking down into the bag and working is really kind of crazy, but I know my limitations and it is a trick that works for me. Good luck! 

Regards.

Thank you kindly, David.  Perhaps I'll use a Publix bag until I get my holding pressure on the tweezers second-nature. 

I leaerned to send a strong magnet to recover the spring as the luxury of ordering spares is unavailable to me. I I don,t have a scrap of the same caliber but many other makes which might interchange. Members can chip in info to produce such list of interchangables on this thread and the like, for all members and non members to enjoy.

• Like 1

BestFit 400/2097
 SHOCK SPRING, NOVIDAC
 FactoryNumber  78004.231

ETA 2824-2      28,800 BPH-AUTO-CALD-DSS
 ETA 2836-2      28,800 BPH-DSS-OR W/O SEC-AUTO-CALD-DAY-DATE KIF OR INCA
 ETA 6497-1     
 ETA 6498-1      ETA MECHANICAL MOVEMENT

ETA 6497-1
ETA 6497-2
ETA 2801-2
ETA 2804-2
ETA 2824-2
ETA 2834-2
ETA 2836-2
ETA 2846
UT 6497
UT 6498
ETA 6498-1
ETA 6498-2
SEL SW200
SEL SW200-1
SEL SW220

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

I leaerned to send a strong magnet to recover the spring as the luxury of ordering spares is unavailable to me. I I don,t have a scrap of the same caliber but many other makes which might interchange. Members can chip in info to produce such list of interchangables on this thread and the like, for all members and non members to enjoy.

Thank you, Nucejoe, but alas the spring is brass.  I really must get myself a proper workbench.  I'm using the kitchen table with a white bedsheet cover.  It's not high enough.  I've been doing all my work on a 4x8" work surface.  I put my staking set box on the table, set the jeweling set box on top of that, and work on the JKA box.  It's a good height, but the size of the surface is more trouble than it's worth. 

Edited by SparkyLB

7 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

BestFit 400/2097
 SHOCK SPRING, NOVIDAC
 FactoryNumber  78004.231

ETA 2824-2      28,800 BPH-AUTO-CALD-DSS
 ETA 2836-2      28,800 BPH-DSS-OR W/O SEC-AUTO-CALD-DAY-DATE KIF OR INCA
 ETA 6497-1     
 ETA 6498-1      ETA MECHANICAL MOVEMENT

ETA 6497-1
ETA 6497-2
ETA 2801-2
ETA 2804-2
ETA 2824-2
ETA 2834-2
ETA 2836-2
ETA 2846
UT 6497
UT 6498
ETA 6498-1
ETA 6498-2
SEL SW200
SEL SW200-1
SEL SW220

JohnR725; that's very kind of you to provide a cross reference.  For those in the know, it seems since the incabloc setting on the balance cock is different than the one on the dial side?  They're different part numbers.  Are the end stones the same size?  I have about a dozen orphaned movements from when I was early on, and popped out many of the jewels.  Seems the end stones on the 6497-1 are a good bit smaller in diameter than the other end stones I have accumulated. 

No luck.  Thanks for the suggestion, all the same.

Every time I'm on the floor looking for a part I hear the same song. . .

"You will start out standing
Proud to steal her anything she sees
You will start out standing
Proud to steal her anything she sees
But you'll wind up peeking through her keyhole
Down upon your knees" 

--Bob Dylan. 

Edited by SparkyLB