dennis

pusher removal

Question

12 answers to this question

7 hours ago, clockboy said:

Remove the movement from the case. Then you should be able to clean and lub the pushers in situ. 

How would you get the cleaner/lube between the sleeve and pusher shaft where I assume there is a spring?

To get the cleaner in to the pusher use an oiler dipped in the cleaner and apply to the shaft, after two or more applications gently work the shaft out and in again  applying cleaner as required untill free.

tried that with some lube and an oiler. Didn't do much. Going to try the cleaner and see it it loosens things up. Thinking more of a rust issue with the springs maybe. I can push them in but they get stuck in that inward position.

Thanks for all the input.

Figured the pushers out.The silver part is the inner piece on the inside of the case. The brass piece with the o-ring is the outer part that gets pushed. Obviously the spring sits in between. The silver end is a tube that pressure fits over the outer piece. Has a knob like end that keeps it from slipping through  the sleeve insert, which has a large diameter on the outside and a smaller diameter on the inside. That also keeps the spring retained between the 2 pieces.

Sorry for the poor quality.

20200408_153643.thumb.jpg.8180e363e18f7bc49bc4400c946bb44b.jpg

Edited by dennis

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• so it looks like i don't need the 423 core part, but only the part that has the teeth, which i hope is part 421 since thats what i'm trying to get quotes for. here is the link for the patek video    
    • Looks like a interesting video, do you have the link to it saved? Have you looked if the part nr 4 isn't actually 2 pieces? The lower which is in contact with the winding pinion might have a upper removable part called a crown wheel core. I think it used to be called no 423 in other Patek movements. The core usually fitts on the upside the lower crown wheel. It has a bronze bushing fitted to it when the bridge goes into place. If you look closely at the lower picture you can see it most likely is a two piece part. Push in the middle of the wheel with some appropiate tool to see if it doesn't split appart.  
    • Yes, those Esembl-O-Graf booklets/DVD, etc. would be very handy indeed. I remember seeing them being sold at NAWCC marts. But since I was only interested in pocket watches at the time, I never snagged any. I do remember a friend buying a bunch of them. Good thought. I had forgotten about them.  
    • I think you’re referring to a comment I made in your post about Seiko mainsprings. I did not say he was the master, I said something along the lines of I think he has a bit of experience with the Seiko 7S series of movts.   I’ll add my experience with the 700x series which is the basis for the 7S series and beyond:   - The GR springs are close but not exactly equivalent to the springs I’ve extracted from 7002 barrels - they were slightly thinner and not quite as wide. I found, and your experience may be different, that the original used MS worked better than a new GR equivalent.   - I’ve had terrible difficulty cleaning and re-greasing the barrel and mainsprings for these movts. I’ve used 8217 and found using the same quantity I might use in a 6309 allowed the spring to slip too soon and too dramatically. If I cut the quantity in half it worked better but still not great. I have not tried using a lot more nor have I used Kluber.   - I eventually stopped screwing around with splitting these barrels open since Seiko never intended for them to be and started using factory new replacements which come complete and ready to install.   - BUT, and it’s a big but, while I can get expected reserve out of the factory new replacements when wound at the ratchet screw I and some members on one of the Japanese watch forums have experienced issues with building reserve when worn. Not certain if it the reduction wheel being worn down or the hooks on the pawl levers not quite being sharp enough to wind the watch efficiently. Or maybe sitting at my desk during the day isn’t enough activity for these movts.     Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk