baume mainspring still

I have spoke about this watch a few days earlier. I broke the mainspring trying to refit it.

I got a new one from cousins fitted it.

It wont wind. let me try am explain. ( i have put up pics as well)

The spring and arbour can only go in 1 way and that's great the spring is attached to barrel wall and arbour You will note it need to be wound clock wise.

But if you look at the watch gears for the winding its winds anticlockwise.

You cannot put spring in other way round as it will not attach to barrel wall or arbour. And its no good just turning the spring over same problem exists.

They are all defenitely the right parts for the watch.

What am i doing wrong.

days its been running round and round by head and i cannot work it out

cheers

gary

IMG_20200309_195341.jpg

IMG_20200309_195348.jpg

IMG_20200309_195353.jpg

IMG_20200309_195606.jpg

IMG_20200309_195912.jpg

Hi Gary   Thats an odd ball,  without looking at the watch the only thing i can think off is its in upside down and the arbour is as well.   I feal  that the only recourse is to remove the spring again and double check both the barrel wall for the anchor point and the fact that will the arbour fit in upside down.  When you get a spring in its holder one side is coloured and the other is plain  I seem to remember the coloured side is uppermost when pressing in the spring.    a lot of work I know but when something dosen't work is then back to basics.'

• Like 1

Hi there ,take it out and have a closer look at the bridle .It appears to go in one direction .You may find that it hooks onto the barrel winding in from opposite direction only visible with magnification ,a small piece of spring that hooks onto barrel wall .Hard to see with new spring . That has happened to me before .Hope that helps 

I'm going with the mainspring being wound the wrong way. Without seeing the empty barrel, and the catch on the outside, it's hard to say for sure though. This illustrates why I always draw a picture of the direction the MS winds in the barrel before I pull it out. It stops me from having to think, and that is a real comfort sometimes.

It looks like a conventional setup, with the barrel teeth meshing with the center-wheel pinion. The only way it can do that is with the barrel teeth towards the top. Also at the top should be the square part of the winding arbor that keys into the winding wheel on the top of the barrel. That's how I'm seeing it anyway. Good luck getting it figured out.

It all looks correct to me. The crown wheel on the barrel arbour should turn anti clockwise when winding. The photos showing the spring have the barrel upside down, but when inverted it should wind anti clockwise.

Have you assembled it and tested it? If so, have you tried winding the arbour slightly with the barrel cap off to see if the spring is slipping on the arbour? (Hold the square on the arbour with a pin vice and don’t be tempted to wind it too far - half a turn is enough)