Fun And Games With Cars...

Both cars have taken it into their heads to thumb their nose at me today.

I wanted to top up the screenwash in the Audi, but the retainer hook was so gunged up that the bonnet wouldn't rise up after the release catch inside the car was pulled. Luckily, good old WD40 sorted that one out.

I fired up the old Volvo, which has been laying dormant over Christmas, and there was a backfire and a pop. It starts, also after some WD40 treatment on the distributor, but splutters out straightaway. I've had this before - the backfire blows an air hose off somewhere in the coils of the engine - but for the life of me I can't remember the exact place. So I'm now awaiting the RAC breakdown home start service...

It's life, Jim - but sometimes not as we know it...

Cars - can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.

Indeed, Geo. Anyway, the RAC man came and his guess was that the big backfire on startup affected the cam timing. So it's heigh ho for Volvo some time soon... Luckily, the RAC tows me there for free, so no huge fees for that bit!

Sorry to hear that Will. At least the tow was free. I hope your car troubles are fixed soon!

Here I never buy foreign cars since they are either hard to fix (mechanics are not savvy enough, maybe) or too expensive on both price and repairs...and always buy GM made cars....although lately they are not fully American Made so my next car is going to take quite a research!

In any case, I hope they give you a reasonable price and a quality repair.

Cheers,

Bob

If I remember your Volvo looked in very good order,  unless I have it confused with another.  I don't see how a backfire could upset the timing,  the timing being out could have caused the initial backfire.  Do you have a local indy garage who could check it over for you?  It might only be a simple adjustment needed to put it right,  if he says it's not worth it then at least you have  had a second opinion.

The RAC guy was of the opinion that a big backfire might have caused a tooth to jump - or some such. I wouldn't know - my knowledge of camshaft technology is limited to making sure the cam belt is renewed at the right time!

Anyway - and luckily - my nearest Volvo garage is just 10 miles away, i.e. just within the limit for a tow from home by the RAC. So it's booked in for next Wednesday and the RAC will collect it from my house on the Tuesday. I have a very good garage which normally deals with all my car needs, and which I've used for years, but they're 30 miles away. So it's a main dealer for me this time. I'm not complaining. The car is 27 years old now - classed as a "historic Volvo" by Volvo themselves, so I'm sure they'll have the know-how. When I took it there recently to get a bulb holder replaced, all the garage guys gathered round it and looked at it lovingly!

There comes a point, of course, when a car costs more than it should. But I paid just £650 for it seven years ago and it's given me excellent service for very little outlay. If I sold it, I'd probably get my money back - but where could I get a s/h car as good for £600?

When the day comes that I stop my band work, then it goes - until then, I shall keep it running in as good condition as I can. A bit like mechanical watches...

Well, my first instinct was right - the damp start backfire on the old Volvo did indeed blow an air hose off its housing - causing the engine to chuff and splutter. This has happened twice before and each time I've found the culprit. But not this time - it was right under the manifold! It fooled me and the RAC man, so I don't feel too stupid...

Madame will drive me down there this afternoon to collect - just an hour's fettling to pay for, so I'm not complaining.

Edited by WillFly

Hi Will,

Glad everything was sorted and your car is all right now! I believe it should be considered a classic or be very close, isn't it? Here, they say that a 20 year old car is a classic and prices adjust accordingly in the car market.

On a lighter note, my Chevy Cavalier (yr 2000) will soon be a classic...I have to take good care of it so maybe I can get good money out of it in say, 5 more years! NOT! :)

Cheers,

Bob

The Volvo is now classified (by Volvo) as a "historic Volvo" - as it's 27 years old. Which means that some parts are only kept on back order and fulfilled from Volvo in Sweden. It's done 108,000 miles, which is nothing in Volvo terms - I've seen them do 250,000 and more - so I'll keep it (a) as long as I shift band gear around in it and (b) as long as nothing major goes bang! :D