Chinese clone horia tool

55 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

Thinking about other tools here's an example Of another Chinese tool. In Seattle we have a school sponsored by Rolex teaching professional watchmaking and one of the students who had met had one of these before and one of the current ones I know it purchased one and as we're talking about Chinese tools this is a perfect example. Not something I would ever use but apparently the students like it and this is what was done to it notice it has a familiar sound doesn't it?

All things considered, it worked very very well outside of the box but I did service the entire thing. Disassembled it, cleaned off all the manufacturing oil, polished the pivoting points and then lubricated everything. It now works phenomenally. 

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255800157901825.html?spm=a2g0n.order_detail.order_detail_item.3.2e12f19cloFdqx&gatewayAdapt=Msite2Pc

I do curiosity to see what it cost from the Swiss here's what cousins is selling it for. Yes it does appear to be quite a difference in price.

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/hand-fitting-multi-press-watch-bergeon-swiss?code=H40483

I also have one of these, its a little off target and on my to-do list to disassemble and tweak.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Waggy said:

I also have one of these, its a little off target and on my to-do list to disassemble and tweak.

Me too. The pushers are a good fit in the spindle, the anvils are a little slack in the base. Both seem to line up ok but occasionally need to adjust the anvil's position within the slack on a small jewel. The mating surfaces on both the pushers and anvils are a bit rough as is the base seatings on the anvils. This does need addressing, when practicing i have noticed the jewel doesn't always enter the hole perfectly square on. 

I'm about to order one of the horia clones from ali, this will my first jewelling tool, the ali ads are confusing me, when i read the different sellers ads some listing say 4mm&4mm, and then it also says spindle hole 3mm, table hole 4mm, in the same description.

Are the pushers and anvils both 4mm or are the pushers 3mm and the anivils 4mm.

What size did you get when you received your horia clone.

Edited by valleyguy

On 7/27/2023 at 7:18 PM, valleyguy said:

I'm about to order one of the horia clones from ali, this will my first jewelling tool, the ali ads are confusing me, when i read the different sellers ads some listing say 4mm&4mm, and then it also says spindle hole 3mm, table hole 4mm, in the same description.

Are the pushers and anvils both 4mm or are the pushers 3mm and the anivils 4mm.

What size did you get when you received your horia clone.

The one i have is pushers 3mm and anvils 4mm. 

To add to the topic of Seitz (lever) vs Horia (screw).

Some Seitz presses were shipped with "thickness micrometer" attachment. I was lucky enough to score one of those before knowing what exactly it's used for.

If the zeroing screw is taken out, it effectively performs as Horia tool (pushing down the spindle by screwing in the micrometer screw).

I've documented different variations of Seitz (lever vs lever + thickness measurement) here: https://imgur.com/a/hJALq7f 

Edited by everyonesdesign
Used more proper word for an example (jewel -> spindle)
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, everyonesdesign said:

To add to the topic of Seitz (lever) vs Horia (screw).

Some Seitz presses were shipped with "thickness micrometer" attachment. I was lucky enough to score one of those before knowing what exactly it's used for.

If the zeroing screw is taken out, it effectively performs as Horia tool (pushing down the spindle by screwing in the micrometer screw).

I've documented different variations of Seitz (lever vs lever + thickness measurement) here: https://imgur.com/a/hJALq7f 

Thanks for this I will personally investigate.

• 2 months later...
On 6/1/2023 at 5:02 PM, Knebo said:

putting a mainspring into the barrel

20230526_154926.thumb.jpg.3ca056dc9649aed5ac3ae546c2cee401.jpg

Quick note on my earlier post (see above): DON'T DO IT like that. It worked fine once because the anvil happened to fit extremely well. The following 2-3 times it always failed and I had a messed up mainspring.

This approach is actually quite fail safe:

I use Rodico to stabilise the brass tweezers and to ensure that they push down on the barrel evenly. I push down the tweezers with one hand - important is to have a fair amount of pressure so that the barrel can't slip away. With the other hand I pry in the mainspring with a screwdriver (flat side). It hasn't failed me yet. 

I realise that this is off-topic, but wanted to make sure nobody follows my bad example above with the Seitz press. 

20230924_224514.thumb.jpg.8db86533ea27cec6a9afcd5703b1ebaf.jpg

Edited by Knebo