Jump to content

How do I remove this screw with two holes in it?

Recommended Posts

Hi *,

Sorry if this was asked before, I do not know what to look for. How is this type of screw called when it has two holes in it? And most importantly how do I unscrew it without damaging it? Is there a tool for it? How is it called?

The screw in question is marked with red on the pic.

Best regards,



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's called a "pig nose" nut.

the typical kind of tool for these is like a screw driver blade with the middle ground out.


I have made my own for watch work by adapting an old pair of dividers from an old draftsmans drawing set. I have simply replaced the pointed pins with straight pins.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi       Well we learn something every day. Its a "pig nose nut" I have undone many of these like Marc with a home made tool, Mine was a screw driver ground and filed for the purpose .  As Marc mentioned use old dividers and they must be old the new ones have only a stud point not much metal to play with.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

An old pair of tweezers ground down to fit the holes will do a good job.  

     i use "snap ring plyers".     the type that can be set  to : expand or contract.   i could post a photo?  vin

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Take a clear photo of the back of the clock, just the works, not the legs. Someone with the Horolovar repair guide might be able to identify it. If it has a disc pendulum there might be a number stamped or written in pencil, this should match the main number, if the pendulum is original.  3 or 4 ball pendulum will not be numbered.   Bod 
    • There are books,       that tell you how to re-shape an hair spring  and tools to use,   I read de Carles Watch Repair.   one tool i recall is "2 pairs of rounding plyers.   vin
    • I read somewhere (maybe the tube) that you can cure a lot of evils if you wind the spring up as you would into a mainspring winder (though a MS winder would be too large and this would have to be done on the flat of your bench for example) until it is fully and tightly coiled.  I gather this gives it its shape back and you can move on from there.  Maybe a bit of an ask for your spring though !!  Maybe worth a try as not much to lose !!
    • Well, I have just written to Mr. Sudarson at www.oldswisswatches.com and have politely asked him how he can help me with this problem. I'll keep you updated on the progress. Yes, I don't think you're wrong to assume that the cost of living and wages in India are extremely low. An alternative explanation could possibly be that the repair prices reflect the same kind of quality that the spare parts they sent me had, but I wouldn't really know.
  • Create New...