See, You Leave The Door Open And Anyone Can Wander In!

Hello,

Just signed up after browsing around. I've been viewing Mark's videos and because of that, he's convinced me to have a go at stripping down and reassembling a watch.

Always been interested in old time pieces, though never owned many as I couldn't decide on which one to go for! But I've become re-invigorated with horology as my wife has bought me a rather nice J.W. Benson pocket watch for my up-coming 60th birthday. I wanted to find out more about what makes it tick, so to speak.

So I've since bought a couple of beginner books and a modest set of basic tools and have purchased a handfull of pocket watch movements (no cases) off ebay - some are just 'scrappers' for me to cut my teeth on and some are 'workers'. I plan to dissasemble each of them, practice cleaning and then reassemble. I hope that the 'workers' don't turn into 'scrappers' in the process!

I've also bought a nice looking hallmarked silver pocket watch, which was advertised as working but had a slight problem with the click. The test will be to see if I can clean and repair this one and then sell it on.

So that's my winter nights sorted out!

I'm an accountant by trade, but have always worked in industry. I enjoy tinkering around and have a small lathe and mill in my workshop (that's the garden shed to everyone else). I've taught myself how to use the lathe and mill, have mastered silver soldering and basic welding and after making a few knives, have had a go at back yard heat treating and tempering. I think I must be a frustrated Engineer!

I will be retiring soon and I'm looking for an interesting hobby that will keep me out of the way of the Boss, and I think that horology will be what I'm looking for.

Well, that's the end of my rambling. See you around and I'll try not to ask too many Noobie questions.

Take care.

What a cracking introduction to the forum Frank, and a very warm welcome from Scotland. Like you my horological interests kicked in when I turned sixty. I have been working at it now for three years and just love the subject. I had to laugh when you described yourself as a "frustrated Engineer", in my case I'm an "Engineer that is frustrated" !

I look forward to your contributions to the forum in the future. Any chance of posting some pictures of your Benson pocket watch?

Any chance of posting some pictures of your Benson pocket watch?

Thank you both for the kind welcome.

I'm having to wait till January before I can get my hands on the watch, but I'll try and get some pictures uploaded of the other bits and pieces.

Pictures are much more interesting than my waffle!

Hi Frank and welcome. I am new to the hobby myself. Please ask as many noob questions as you like. There are lots of nice, knowledgeable members here to answer your questions and we'll all learn something.

Don

Hello Frank and welcome.

There are quite a few like minded folk here and a helping hand will always be extended if you post a problem that you come across with watch repairs etc.

There are a great mix of experts and amateur horologists and tinkering hobbyists like me. But be warned it is addictive, I bought three watches last week and am waiting for them to arrive every morning post.

Cheers,

Vic