Need Help Securing New Style Incabloc Shock Spring

mlfloyd1

Hi mlfloyd,

there are several ways to do that operation. I particularly use 2 tweezers after Mark's suggestion with another type...I just found that it is kind of a universal way: hold down the spring with one tweezers and turn it with the other.

Another way is to whittle a stick of pegwood to the outside diameter of the spring and hollow the center so the edges precisely hold down the spring while you turn the stick.

and finally there is the Novodiac tool that is sold at esslinger, ofrei, cousingsuk, etc to do the job: most of the time it is unnecessary because of the former two systems...

Hi mlfloyd,

This is like the Novodiac shock absorber system that Bob mentioned. I don't use that tool, but I am very familiar with Novodiac. take a brass (MM) fine-tip tweezer and slowly nudge one corner of the spring until it is under the locking rim of the holder. Then take another fine tip tweezer (either dumont #1 or even 3 will do)  tweezer and hold down the spring while you continue to nudge it around until all corners are locked with the brass tweezers. I've done it this way many times, but be very careful and leave clear space around the work bench to make searching easier if it jumps out. Go slowly.

JC

The tweezers system, it never fails! :) As JC mentioned, this spring likes jumping so my recommendation is: get a big, very transparent, nylon bag and cut off both ends and work inside the bag if the spring jumps it won't go far! You use the openings you created in the bag for your hands to work inside.

Edited by bobm12
  • Like 2

spring has three legs caught in a groove. The groove has a 'gap' which is sufficient for one leg to pass thru.

The idea is to get one leg in the groove and one in the gap... using your tweezers, rotate the spring so the one in the gap is fed into the groove..continue rotating until the the third free leg is in the gap. Here you need to apply downward and sideways pressure to get the final leg into the groove. The downward pressure is needed to counter 'spring' as the other two legs are already in the groove. 

Edit..as your turning the spring to get the third leg in, it is important to keep the spring central otherwise the other leg will come loose. Spring may fly off. If you're not too comfortable with this, do this part inside a large plastic bag to catch the flying spring!

HTH

Anil

Edited by anilv

AnilV that is perfectly described. That third leg has to be pushed into that gap and then turned so that is locks into the groove. It isn't easy, but you'll get a feel for it mlfloyd. I sometimes get frustrated because I do my watch stuff late at night, and so if the spring flies off twice, I just put it away for another time rather than to keep trying and lose it permanently. I  use a 10x loup or at a minimum a 3.5x magnifying visor to have both hands available so a plastic bag covering the movement, hands and the spring would not work for me--I need to see exactly what is happening clearly.

JC

Edited by noirrac1j

Excellent replies.  I thank you.

I shouldn't have a problem with this now.

Noirrac1,

I know what you mean losing & finding a part twice and then finally losing it the third time.  I too, work on my watches at night.  I've since learned to not allow for that "third" time since I lost a battery hold-down screw on a friend's watch.

Thanks, everyone.  We have such a great group!

I think this is a Novodiac, it has three grooves and the spring has to go into all those three at once.

I use a thick paper clip plastic shell  :) But be careful! Don't push to hard, you will brake the spring.

Edited by matabog