Newbie who is keen to learn

mrcardigan

Hi all.

Hope this is a friendly forum, keen to welcome new and inexperienced members like myself - it seems like it from the replies.

We have a very small, but growing collection of vintage watches (2!), but I hope both are interesting... 

The first watch was in a box gifted from my wife's grandfather, and was identified at UK Antiques roadshow as a Rolex Silver Prince 1945. We have since identified it as an earlier 1931 from the hallmarks. It needs a bit of work (missing second hand, cracked crystal etc but does run.

Giving tried it on - not allowed to wear it, as it is my wife's :( I decidedly see what I could find, and have (EBAY) picked up (what I think is) a 1934 Illinois Ensign for what I consider to be the bargain price of £8.50. It needs a new crystal and stem and a good clean but ticks. more questions to follow in correct forum section.

Here they are anyway...

DSC_0734.JPG

DSC_0731.JPG

DSC_0730.JPG

DSC_0729.JPG

Screenshot_20161203-101314.png

Screenshot_20161202-205356.png

Screenshot_20161202-205350.png

• Like 1

The top name was my wifes' grandfather, and we believe it was given to him by a very dear 'lady friend' but know no more. It was given to my wife when she was young, in a wooden box, to play with. wooden box turned out to be an 1820's solid mahogany apprentice chest worth about £300-400!

• Like 1

Hi Andy!  Welcome to the forum.  This is a very friendly bunch and eager to help.  I'm rather new to the forum, too.  I've been around watches for a while, though. I'm from Pearland, Texas USA.  Love the watches, especially the Illinois.  I love the shape of it.   The Rolex is a unique piece, too.  Have fun with them!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...