elgin 18s balance

jwg

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Well it's arrived, and it's a pleasant surprise. A 11.5''' 21 jewel FHF 72. It's running (just) and looks in great condition.  It needs a good service, and new crown and strap.  It's a front loader but doesn't have a split stem. There's a small lever (visible when you remover the bezel), which when moved, frees the stem and the movement from the case (a new one on me).  
    • Hello and welcome from Leeds, England. 
    • Hi All, I'm Geoff and I've been working on/with watches and clocks since I was thirteen. My dad was a watchmaker and while he did not want me in the field as a profession, I've always maintained a pretty good working knowledge. In the '70's I kinda got pulled back into things because Quartz revolution began and he only had limited electronic knowledge. So we combined skills. He the watchmaker and me the electronics tech. Being here in NY helped because we got to know the folks from Bulova, Seiko, Citizen, and WOSIC. H.B. Freid was my Dad's teacher and I was fortunate enough to get to know him too. I still maintain a bench here at home and occasionally work on watches for friends although the hands aren't what they used to be. Not going to be working on any FHF59 or AS1012's any time soon. Oddly enough though my years working with the field taught me how to work on almost anything else mechanical and mostly electronic. Since I was the one in the family who maintained Dad's cleaning and timing machines. those experiences carried over quite nicely into the worlds of recording and audio as well as others. I look forward to the discussions and maybe still learning a trick or two. Cheers to all and nice to be here.  
    • The best and almost only way to achieve the magical £ 4.04 individual watch cost is via the loophole ploy of job lot buys Ross. Dividing down the outlay by the number of watches purchased. I've managed it many times in the past, this then gives you the extra edge of choosing any watch from that lot. Maybe we should have an all time winner, whos prepared to troll  through the last four years of posts and pick some worthy contenders. Unfortunately i have a poorly shoulder so i cant raise my right hand and my left shoulder is out in sympathy for my right shoulder. Put your right hand up if you think i talk a load of bull 💩     🖐 Tom's comment is purely restricted to  the Bergeon culture of " lets rip off everyone on the planet " Voted , i thought to keep it in pounds as originally designed and out of respect for Andy . Personally i would have kept the £4.04 as I'm very traditionalist and dont like change but i know how hard you overseas guys are finding it and i believe in fair play. I expect to be posting the occasional Omega or Longines but then you brought this on yourself so dont get jealous Scott 😆
    • Ah but, will you count DIY versions.