oldhippy

Thomas Mudge would turn in his grave

54 minutes ago, Lenj said:

All the time that I have been collecting clocks, this is one clock that I must say I do not like..I think they are ugly..

I like the proper antique Lantern clocks providing they haven’t been converted to anchor escapement, and not housed in some daft case.    

Personally I'm impressed that he managed to make another clock about 200 years after he died. :D

I love the key handle, just like a cheap alarm clock and that the movement is French (If you believe the writing) I'm sure one of the greatest English clock makers wouldn't have a problem having his name applied to a French clock.

Looking at that movement, is that not from a carriage clock?? I know I keep on about Couaillet Freres, but is that not their markings?? around the winder with the 4 dots..???

2 hours ago, Lenj said:

Looking at that movement, is that not from a carriage clock?? I know I keep on about Couaillet Freres, but is that not their markings?? around the winder with the 4 dots..???

Those markings are easy to fake.

It's pretty typical the Victorians where obsessed with reproducing the past, the lantern clock style had a revival in the arts and crafts period of design and the french produced a large number of clocks in that style the smaller ones using carriage clock movements in both timepiece and striking clocks. There where many quality English and German made examples that used double fusee movements such as Winterhalder and Elliot clocks.

These pastiche type Lantern clocks began to appear around the 1880's upto the 1920's but some manufactures persisted with the design up until the 1970's with smiths producing the "Knell Gwynn" lantern style clock in both 8 day and electric version.

A great deal more of these clock exist than genuine Lantern clocks.