Wrong book arrived

In the last few days of June I decided to order an expensive book I had been wanting for some time before the GST on overseas purchases kicked in.

I ordered 'British Military Timepieces' by Konrad Knirim.

The book arrived today and after dinner I unpackaged it and settled down for a good read, but first flicked through a number of pages.

The book has fantastic photos in it, but I started to get confused as it was showing me German military timepieces and their allies.

I closed the book and looked at the front cover and discovered they had sent me the wrong book, I had been sent 'Military Timepieces' by Konrad Knirim which is all about Germany and their allies military timepieces.

I bought the book from a large online bookstore and have emailed them and I'm sure they will sort it out. I am hoping they just decide its too hard for them to organise me to send back the wrong book and let me keep it too.

• Like 1

AFter having to take more photos and emails from 2 different people they have agreed they have made a mistake and ordered the correct book for me.

They have also asked me to repackage the incorrect book and send it back to their agent in Australia at my expense and then after I have sent them copies of proof of posting it back (and I assume they receive it) they will refund my expense in postage to send back the incorrect book they sent me.

Once I have received the correct book I will contact them again and remind them that my time is valuable and I'm happy to send back the wrong book if they send me prepaid packaging to send it back to them, or invite them to pay for pack and send to come to my work and pick up and pack the book at their expense.

I'm not going to repack it, take a trip to the post office burning up my time and fuel, pay to send back their mistake, scan all the documents and email that back to them and then wait to get back my postage cost only.

If I just decided I didn't want the book anymore and wanted a refund that would be entirely different, but asking me having to spend money to send back the incorrect book they sent me is just wrong.

I'll certainly suggest to them again that they pay for the return themselves up front, or organise a courier to pick it up as I'm not going to pay to return it.

I would be more than happy to keep it as its a great book, its just not one I could justify spending the money on unlike the one on British Military timepieces.

• 2 weeks later...

The correct book arrived on Friday and I'm very pleased with the book, lots of colour photos and information.

It even has a few pages on Australian and New Zealand Military timepieces which really surprised me.

Of course it did not come with any way for me to send back the incorrect book.

I've emailed them back and told them that they will need to send me a post paid satchel or box for me to return the wrong book they sent me as I'm not spending my money and time to correct a mistake they made.

I'm actually hoping they just say its all too hard and to keep the book, but being its such an expensive book they may actually work out how they can pay for me to send back the book, which I have had Australian companies do when they have sent me the incorrect items before.