Hi from Switzerland

Hello, I'm an expat watchmaker in Switzerland for the last almost 2 decades, been in a lot of prototyping in that time but the last few years doing a lot of vintage repair and restoration. I've been enjoying Mark's videos for some time and hope I might be able to offer some advice here and there but am mostly here to learn.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

Hello, I'm an expat watchmaker in Switzerland for the last almost 2 decades, been in a lot of prototyping in that time but the last few years doing a lot of vintage repair and restoration. I've been enjoying Mark's videos for some time and hope I might be able to offer some advice here and there but am mostly here to learn.

Hi friend, welcome to this nice forum. You must be very experienced by now in the best watchmaking centre anywhere. I need a balance for an old Rolex silver cushion watch with broken staff etc. early one,  Aegler movement,  and a balance for an old Borgel watch, any ideas, pointers? Thanks,  and best regards Mike.

Edited by ecodec
add word.

3 hours ago, ecodec said:

Hi friend, welcome to this nice forum. You must be very experienced by now in the best watchmaking centre anywhere. I need a balance for an old Rolex silver cushion watch with broken staff etc. early one,  Aegler movement,  and a balance for an old Borgel watch, any ideas, pointers? Thanks,  and best regards Mike.

I don't really have any magic sources for hard to find parts,  I usually do work directly for manufacturers or through other shops so they source the parts.

4 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Welcome to this friendly forum. What is it like to be in the heart of the watchmaking world?

It's pretty, literally! And you always seem to stumble on watchmaking tools or materials in random flea markets, that's kind of unique. I got a bunch of old stock screw head files, very fine ones, the other day. You never know.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Sorry, You have some kind of major problem that causes that rapid unwinding, when stem is moved to hands setting position. Also the hairspring is badly deformed. As You don't have expirience in watch repairs, it will be much much easier for You to get new movement and repllace. It is easy to remove dial and hands, but measures needed to be taken to prevent them from deformation and damafe of appearence. You need to remove the second and minute nands only. Watch some videos to see how it is done.
    • Ok I’ll do that right now everything except balance and pallet fork is in the ultrasonic in lighter fluid. Any advice on the best way to reattach the spring. I had difficulties previously. I was following a video were the spring was first set in between the regulator pins then the cock was mounted in the plate and the stud reattached. But when I tried to do that the spring would come out of the pins immediately. So I ended up attaching the stud first then removing the cock turning it over and putting the spring in between the pins. 
    • Ok, still work to do. The watch will go fast and with lo amplitude with this hairspring, But it looks easy to repair. But, please remove the balance from the cock again and show pictures where the spring is not forced by the parts where it stays in place. Make pictures too in the plain of the spring, so it will be seen the place where the coil lifts above the plain
    • Not sure how it will show in these pictures it was easier to see when it was removed from the cock.  The last coil is going over a bit and too much inward so it is just on top (under in the pic as the whole thing is upside down) of the one before last coil.    no I do not have a pin vice. I saw someone on YouTube use a blob of Rodrick to hold onto the lid and harbor that seemed like a good way to do.  Another option is that I was using my finger nails to pus down on the bottom of the barrel so both hands were busy but if I use brass tweezers I could push down in both sides while keeping a finger in top in case things fly. 
    • The sprIng is OK. Do You have pin wice that is able to grasp the arbor for the pivot that goes in the lid hole? If so, there is another way that I believe will be easier for You and safer for the spring to put in back in the barrel.  The hairspring... Need pictures to tell what is needed to bring it in perfect (or at least good enough) shape. The spring was looking easy to repair, as the problem seemed to be just bent in one place. Need to know why it is out of plane - is it stretched like funnel or goes out of plane in single (or 2-3) place(s)?