setting for beat error for cylinder escapement

I am currently working on an old small pocket watch which has a cylinder escapement.  The hairspring on the balance is a little out of shape towards the regulator end. If I have to remove the hairspring from the balance staff to resolve shape then how do I reset it back on the balance staff so that it will be in beat, or near enough as a starting point before adjustment of the hairspring collet position on the balance staff.  I know with a swiss-lever that the table jewel can be visually be aligned with the pins and the lever pivot and escape wheel pivots, so is there a similar method for a cylinder escapement bearing in mind there is no lever.  Any advice much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, that's very useful.  I have had to put this project to one side for now, hence my delay in responding.  I have had a quick look at the balance wheel and it does have 3 drill spots on the dial side of the wheel rim and a strange projection (like a pivot) sticking out of the rim of the wheel,  I cannot see any dots on the plate at first sight.  I'll try a get some pics and post again later when I resume this project.