Loose cannon pinion shaft

p2n

This the Emes I've been working on. I noticed that although it was losing time consistently, it was also losing 'chunks' sporadically.  So checked the cannon pinion and it seemed tight to get off but loose to turn. very loose. Seems like the shaft for the centre wheel isn't attached to the centre wheel.

What's going on here? This doesn't look like it's broken - it looks to be made this way. Assuming that's the case, how do I tighten this arrangement?

P3230001.thumb.JPG.52b128388c86a9d71eecdd4bc28223a3.JPGP3230002.thumb.JPG.1eaea49cab9a850b9318f5195c809e13.JPGP3230003.thumb.JPG.e390edbbbcfd9082dc24c6cb3405665d.JPG

As is visually observant this is not your normal cannon pinion. The cannon pinion has to fit in very very tight to the center pin. The center pin is where the friction is and it is supposed to have a slight bend where it goes through the tube.

As is visually observant this is not your normal cannon pinion. The cannon pinion has to fit in very very tight to the center pin. The center pin is where the friction is and it is supposed to have a slight bend where it goes through the tube.

I would not bend the center pin!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So what is the solution to the problem? If bending the center pin is not.

I would flatten a small area. Carefully, until the fit is tight. Could also use crystal glue which is completely recoverable if if works loose again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro