Excalibur

sunnyside

Hi, I have just inherited a 9ct gold gents ‘Excalibur’ watch handwind circa 1960s. I would like to find out a bit more about the watch and it’s maker etc. I also need to lightly clean the case and would like to know if anyone on this site has worked on this watch and can advise me on how to remove the movement ie is it opened from the back or does the crystal have to be removed to strip it down to the case only. I would really welcome any help or advice. Thank you.

This looks typical of some  watches of that era which I have just serviced.  The case-back looks like a press fit which can be removed with a case knife in the normal manner. The dial look much larger than the resultant opening in the case-back and so the movement will almost certainly be removed from the front.  This will require removal of the bezel (with crystal intact normally) by using a fine blade at the join with the case to ease the bezel off until it comes free, or a case knife can then be used.   The movement will likely be fixed to the case by a couple of case screws which are accessed from the case-back.  The stem is removed in the normal way by loosening screw or pressing spring to release stem.

• Like 1