How to drive this vertical lathe attachement

Fred

Hi, I've had this lathe for a while, now I'm trying to have a go at cutting some gears as it came with a dividing index plate too, just to see how it works as Im new to this. Does anyone have any idea how to drive the vertical spindle?

Thanks alot

0222182308.jpg

0222182309.jpg

12 hours ago, measuretwice said:

whether from motor or counter-shaft I think you need a bit more hardware - vertical post with an arm and two idlers at the minimum. 

Here's some ideas.  His design I like, its added a bit of versatility at the expense of simplicity. 

http://wwlathetools.blogspot.ca/p/lathe-countershaft-adjustable-pto.html

I have a countershaft, I'm looking at the belt rack for the sincere lathe but it's expensive for 200 dollars, I might make a Diy one.

if you've got some machining capability its not a difficult project.....I'd want a bigger lathe than the watch makers though.  Then again necessity is the mother of invention :)  .  I've one of the little hardinge pivot polishers and the idlers for it are fairly small.....maybe it could be done on the watchmakers lathe