Poljot 2416 in need of hands!

Hi,

Won this Poljot watch for a cheap 7 euro a while ago. Not knowing much about Russian watches what caught my interest was the mentioning of 29 jewels on the dial.

Once opening the case, I find a Poljot 2416 inside, which turns out to be a somewhat strange animal, at least in my limited experience.

The 2416 apparently have quite sophisticated and unique solutions and as it’s ticking along happily, I look forward to making something of it.

But... there were no hands to go with the watch and I haven’t been able to find any with the Ranfft specified dimensions from my usual suppliers. Cousins are surprisingly well stocked on parts but the hands dimensions I find nowhere.

The dimensions are: 1,9 x 1,38 x 0,18 (mm) and I am grateful for any hints on suppliers of these apparently less common dimensions.

For those interested I have uploaded a few snap’s of the movement. A bit worrying is the apparent bend on the seconds hand wheel and I can only hope it won’t cause too much trouble later on...

/Bsoderling73ed1995cb1a31fa917018de081096c0.jpg995315e410767f0606027cf9a4e7ff78.jpg7079cc053fa6350cce070131d89c0aea.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep.. chance are it will break.

These parts are usually heat treated so you need to remove the hardening, bend it, and the harden and temper the piece. Since this piece is very small it is not really possible to get the temperature right.

In the past I have heated the seconds post but only until it starts to change colour and let it cool normally, Then clamp the post in a flat jawed pliers and moving it round and clamping so that its entered. There is usually a thick part on the middle part of the post, this will make it difficult to get it straight so you may need to grip it in a pin-vice. The heating was done with the wheel removed so I could grip the other end of the post with a plier to ensure that that end doesn't get too hot (pliers act as a heat sink) and remove the hardening on part that rubs on the mainplate and bridge pivots.

I then heated it white hot and quenched it oil but this is pretty much a hit and miss thing as you can't really gauge temps on parts this small.

Anilv

Thanks Anilv, I think I will have to find a few scrap parts to practise on before I try this on my actual part...[emoji27]

Regarding the hands, any feedback on possible sources or info?

If I don't find a solution to that issue, there's not much use in diving deeper into this movement....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ebay is probably the best place to buy russian parts . I bought a lot of 20 Vostok movement for 100 sek. I am almost sure the seller can get you some poljot movement and hands for that price. Send me a PM and i can give you his name . 

Hi Rogart63,

Your guy had several 2416’s to offer but no decent hands I’m afraid. Might go for a couple of the movements, just for the fun of it ;-)

My current line of thought is to buy the 2 mm / 1,2 mm combo and see if I can squeeze the hour hand collar tight to 1,9 mm with a hollow stake.

The minute hand I will try to ream up to the desired 1,38 mm using my recently purchased jewelling set that has a bunch of reamers with one being 1,39 mm. So if I’m a bit cautios with that one it might work...

Any comments/experiences to share are appreciated!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2018 at 5:23 AM, bsoderling said:

Thanks Anilv, I think I will have to find a few scrap parts to practise on before I try this on my actual part...emoji27.png

Regarding the hands, any feedback on possible sources or info?

If I don't find a solution to that issue, there's not much use in diving deeper into this movement....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Etsy is a place I can sometimes find good prices on old Russian watches as well, just in case you are still looking.