22 minutes ago, berniethebolt said:

hi,i am having trouble replacing the whole balance after stripping.after finally getting the pallet fork in place i find i cannot get the balance spring up and running no matter how i try to place it.any ideas?

I gather you had trouble putting in the pallet fork.... With the balance spring out of the way, wind the movement up a little, and with brass tweezers barely touch the end of the pallet fork: It should swing to the opposite end quickly and with no hesitation. If it does that, then make sure you place the hairspring jewel just ahead of the pallet fork. This requires a slight rotation and manipulation of the hairspring before you tighten it. Often It will immediately start running once the pivot settles in and the jewel on the balance hits the pallet fork creating the initial impulse. If that pallet fork doesn't swing freely when gently prodded with a tweezer, take it out and inspect it.

P.S. Love that profile pic.

JC

Edited by noirrac1j
typo
  • Like 2

Before placing the balance wheel and everything try changing the position of the pallet fork. Also, when you place the balance wheel, if it won't go in as it should and if it won't rotate then it means you just have to fiddle around.

When everything goes in you'll be able to tell, as noirrac1j said it'll rotate freely without any resistance, just as it should.