Pegwood size(s)

Balidey

This will seem a very basic and silly question to many I am sure. But in preparation for some practice strip downs, cleans and rebuilds, I thought I should get some pegwood.

It seems all online retailers will happily sell me a bundle for not many pounds in sizes from 2mm to 6mm. But all the bundles are the same size. I wanted to buy an assortment, rather than all the same.

So from 2mm to 6mm, is there one particular size than most people have as their 'go to'? Does anyone have one size and always whittle it down? Or do you all have bundles of all sizes and always start with the closest size you want? Surely if one size was OK, then I would only see 6mm for sale. Or does it really not matter at all?

For information, I am not planning on doing a lot of servicing. Mainly a few case clean ups initially, and movement / dial / hand swaps (on quartz movements) and eventually get my hands onto a few Seiko 7S26 movements. Nothing more involved than that really. So main use will be for scrubbing, holding, placing, moving with perhaps one or two jewel clean ups as needed, eventually.

Your comments are much appreciated. If you were in my shoes, what size would you buy today?

• Like 1

If only working on small simple movement you may get away with just 2mm, but you will need the 6mm pegwood for larger clocks. I would just get both.

90% of the time I use the 2mm size, but I do use the larger size too.