Waltham PW Mainspring Disassemble

MrBeat

Happy New Year All :)

Well its a good start to the year and ive already come unstuck.

I don't usually work on American watches but i have a Waltham that requires a new mainspring and ordinarily this is a non issue but i can not see how the barrel comes apart to change it as it seems stuck in place ? Does the barrel arbour get punched out ? I can not for the life of me see how to get this out it seem intent on staying in ?

Any help with pointing out my obvious error will be most appreciated, Photos Below >

DSC00336.jpgDSC00337.jpgDSC00338.jpg

It appears theres play but the thing does not want to come apart, am i missing a secret here ?

Well the penny dropped :D

Turns out the arbour is a two piece that screws together, although this one had ceased and just needed an extra umppfff to get her to release. Apparently this is a common assembly on Walthams of 19 Jewels ( this case a Cresent Street ), a small and old picture on the interwebs from Waltham shows the assembly which is why it had me baffled for a moment.

Now the parts are cleaning before new spring is fitted, problem solved :)

• 4 months later...

@MrBeat @oldhippy I'm in the middle of replacing am mainspring on a Waltham 12s and I'm having similar trouble.  I thought maybe the plate held the assembly together, but it's near impossible to install without the mainspring lifting the cover slightly off the barrel, unseating the pivot.  I had no trouble getting the arbor out though, this one appears to feed through the assembly, but there is no means to keep everything captured prior to installation.  Really stumped here.  

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• No matter what I did, I could not get the amplitude more than 240 deg. At least there is 0.2 beat error and minus 1-2 s/d.  So, probably not the happy end I would have hoped for, but still I think the watch turned out quite nice. You be the judge of that. Thank you everyone for your help!  
    • its used to lengthen or shorten the suspension spring from the front f the clock dial, this in turn will give regulation to the clock. Try inserting a pocket watch key or even better the double ended key for the clock into the small aperture on the dial at the top and turning it, you will see the suspension block either raise or lower. If it raises the clock will run faster if it lowers the clock will run slower
    • Grateful for info regarding the nature & function of the horizontal cog and the unit it's on top of in the picture. It meshes with a vertical cog (enclosed in the unit) on the arbour which is supported at its other end by the back plate of the dial unit to which it is not quite perpendicular...
    • does anyone knows what type of battery this digital Watch takes?  
    • Hello good watch folk ,I  just fancied a light hearted discussion after my head was starting to spin over Epilame 😅. Specifically I'm meaning the sale of vintage watches, say nothing past the 1980s market. The stuff we see on ebay and other similar sites and found at carboots, curio shops etc. And are  we thinking its reaching a peak volume ?  Younger generations clearing out passed parents and grandparents possessions.  The younger folk are not as sentimental as the old fogies ( I'm now nearly at an age that i used to think was old fogie age ). When might it have started ?  i often wish i discovered the hobby much much sooner when selling your grandfathers pocket watch at a boot sale for a few quid was just a way to offload some tat. And when might it slow down. Thoughts anyone ?