Malfunctioning Quartz movement - what to do?

boblalux

Malfunctioning Quartz movement - what to do?

I have a cheap quartz watch, which used to work fine, and now suddenly has given up the ghost. Battery and contacts OK.
Can someone tell me how to go about repairing a quartz watch which doesn't move, in a step-by-step way, such as ....
1. Check voltage of battery
2. Check battery contacts
3................................. etc etc

I know that the movements I am talking about are often cheap (ie throw away) but the challenge for a hobby watch fanatic is to repair, and not to replace.
In the present case, it is a SHIOJIRI Y145A movement, which can no longer be bought new.

If you can't find a replacement i would probably try to service it? Could maybe have some parts for it if you need that? Have some spare parts for Y143A and Y142A if they are similar i haven't checked? 

Check the coil for resistance? Should be around 2 amp. 

Not the cleanest movement but it's working? http://www.millsys-watch.co.uk/shiojiri-ltd-caly145a-moonphase-quartz-movement-running-3392-p.asp

23 minutes ago, boblalux said:

Do you mean the coil resistance should be 2 OHMS?

Ya. Sorry me and electronics is not a perfect match? I looked at the Y142A i had and there was a lot of plastic wheels in it? Looking a lot like the Y187 and 7T32/34 movements inside? 

There must be a Seiko or a Pulsar movement also? Like Y187 is 7T32? So Y145A is ?? 

Edited by rogart63
  • Like 1

I think you need to change your search parameters if you wish to purchase the movement which may actually be available. If you look at the 1st link below you find that they may actually have the movement and that there are a variety of name substitutes that go with that movement number. In other words they're all basically OEM versions of Seiko. Then once you grasp what you're looking for there are other companies out there and even look like eBay.

Second link page 11 has your current consumption and coil resistance.

As far as giving you a specific order of the tests it depends on the test equipment you have.

http://stsupplyonline.com/catalog/pulsar-hattori-seiko-movements-c-28_387.html?page=4&sort=4d

https://www.seikoserviceusa.com/img/pdf/battery-no-cross-reference-chart.pdf

I've found the culprit -  torn wire in coil (the actual culprit is me, wielding a pickaxe!).  In the attached photo, you can just see the 2 ends, which I must SOMEHOW re-join.  Any ideas before I start bulldozing my way:  perhaps tying them together with a knot, and burning off the insulating coat?

Coil_1.JPG

A unfortunate problem with quartz watches for all of us is accidental contact with the coil wires. A much more commonplace is jewelry stores whatever they change batteries they also have a habit of destroying coils. If you work in a watch repair shop you'll see this jewelry store sending a watch in for repair with Damaged coil.

If it's just a scratch they make a conductive paint that supposedly will fix the problem but it's for technical reasons I've never been happy with that. It's best to just replace the coil. Occasionally it's broken were it makes contact with the circuit board and that could be resoldered But at the cost your movement is cheaper just to get another movement.

Your movement rings a bell with me. I think my father had a lorus quartz watch. Which he lost in a field and was found a year after. It had suffered rain, frost, snow and had been ploughed over by a tractor. The surprise is , it was still working. This movement was in a basic case (No water proofing) it stopped about 3 months after being found. My father has long departed but I still have the watch. Replacement movement. There not really designed for service or repair, well, not like an expensive ETA. Fitting a new movement will probably be a better option for you and save your time for more appropriate projects.80a88d31b3202bf793c109fd0783c7bf.jpg

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

On 27/12/2016 at 1:59 PM, rogart63 said:

If you can't find a replacement i would probably try to service it? Could maybe have some parts for it if you need that? Have some spare parts for Y143A and Y142A if they are similar i haven't checked? 

Check the coil for resistance? Should be around 2 amp. 

Not the cleanest movement but it's working? http://www.millsys-watch.co.uk/shiojiri-ltd-caly145a-moonphase-quartz-movement-running-3392-p.asp

Would be grateful for the coil, which should be 2.2k - 2.8k ohms.  Have you got one?  

Would be grateful for the coil, which should be 2.2k - 2.8k ohms.  Have you got one?  

No sorry I must of thrown the movement away but I remember I couldn't locate a replacement and ended up fitting a Ronda from another watch. I've had a look but can't find it but if I do I will let you know

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, boblalux said:

Yes, solely the coil would be fine and could be slipped into an envelope.  I'm sure the rest of my movement is OK.

Tell me what IOU.  What can I offer in return?   Hands?  Crowns?

1 hour ago, boblalux said:

Yes, solely the coil would be fine and could be slipped into an envelope.  I'm sure the rest of my movement is OK.

Tell me what IOU.  What can I offer in return?   Hands?  Crowns?

PM :)