ETA 2783/84 parts/assembly question

mtsaz

Hi- I am battling a tudor 2784- and the date wheel click (the little hook that engages the teeth of the date wheel)- and the U shaped spring that gives it tension.  It keeps flying across the room--I hear a little "tic" sound as it hits the window or my glasses or the wall, and then the hunt begins.  

Does anyone know the part numbers for those items, and does anyone have a parts assembly diagram for the 2783/4?  I have been so incredibly frustrated- these watches (I bought from hong kong) had wrong stems- (they had 2824 stems and I didn't realize there was a difference---there is), and these springs were not tensioned, so the date wheel would randomly move from one number to the next.  

I can take photos if necessary---in fact- I will--I saved it in libre office draw format- *.odg) (a free office suite- much better than windows by the way).  I am also saving it in BMP from my microscope camera- but with no commentary.  The broach points to the spring and clicker- and those are what I need part numbers, which direction does spring go, and any help --how to- without losing the spring.  A page with the parts layout would be awesome  Thanks to all of you--happy holidays and a great 2017 to you  and your families/friends. 

tudor_spring.odg

tudor_spring.bmp

Hate when that happens? the spring is almost the same on lots of different ETA movements? 

i mount this side first? And leave the screw a little loose? Have the date click and the date click spring hanging out but assembled? And then put the date disc on pressing against the date clicker until it's in position. That way it can't fly away? 

Or you can put the spring in afterwards through the hole? 

movement-caliber-eta-2783.jpg

Edited by rogart63

IMG_0046.JPG

Hi Mtsaz, I hope that the above is of some help, it is a 2783 but should be the same as the 2784.

It should be possible to install the jumper and the spring as above but you have to ensure that the opposite date ring retaining plate is secure first so that the date ring doesn't move about too much. I install the jumper first and then the spring. With the spring I first of all get the leg that goes against the jumper in place, and then using a piece of peg wood on top of the "U" bend in the spring to hold it all in place I push the other leg into position with tweezers. I then very carefully place the retaining plate on top and secure it with the screw.

This is an operation that is prone to the spring making a bid for freedom and often takes 2 or 3 attempts. The peg wood helps to control things, I have also heard of people using rodico over the spring to reduce its range if it goes. Another trick is to perform this operation inside a clear poly bag which can drastically reduce the search time.

I am however intrigued by Rogart's suggestion of installing the spring through the hole. I will have to try that because if it works then it has to be the way to go, and it would explain why the hole is there.

Good luck :-)

• Like 3

The parts guide is very similar to the 2789, which you can download from Cousins - search ETA 2779 or 2789 in the documents section.  Might be helpful. 

The date jumper spring is part #2575, BTW, but as you say obsolete for the 2783 and 2789. I'm working on a 2789 right now, and just lost that exact part.  Tried flashlight along floor and vacuum with pantyhose sock in hose - nothing.

Cousins (as above), has a similar looking Date Jumper Spring 2575 listed under the ETA 2502 movement.   Does anyone know if the springs are identical?  The 2789 part is beefier spring than i've seen in other uses - keyless works for example - in plan view, it looks a normal "horseshoe" shape, but in elevation it is about 0.6mm high, and is made from a tiny strip of flat stock, so it is not just a wire spring.  If you look at the movement the pocket is deeper than the jumper thickness, so the spring does not bear on the jumper unless the jumper is pressed against the spring by the wheel.

Anyway, can anyone advise whether the ETA 2502, part #2575 is a match?  Or suggest an alternate source?

Thanks

WP_20161228_002.jpg

WP_20161228_001.jpg

when installing these springs ... check to see if it is totally flat, a spring with a slight twist will tend to fly off.  parts tray.You will notice this if the spring is lying flat in your

For springs made from flat stock, also check if the ends are not 'twisted'.. not so easy to spot ... best bet is to view it from directly above.

This applies to all springs.

Anil

• Like 3