Save or scrap?

mcass

9 hours ago, clockboy said:

I think the Alum trick only works with certain metals. I must have been lucky because I have  only had to use the Bergeon tool once & it worked a treat. 

I was most likely using the Bergeon tool wrong, patients is not one of my virtues! i suppose being in the watch repair game was probably not the best idea for me, but it kind of did happen by chance really, we bought the business back in 2010 - however we had staff running it for us, bad idea as it nearly went down the pan! so i stepped in and here i am 3 years later, a much more healthy business bank balance and i'm hooked on repairing watches - and i think i'm becoming addicted to buying tools!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, clockboy said:

I think the Alum trick only works with certain metals. I must have been lucky because I have  only had to use the Bergeon tool once & it worked a treat. 

I believe this is true too.  If I could remember my chemical equation rules for oxidation from chemistry I could probably figure out which metals work and why.  I tried to remove a broken off case screw (brass/gold filled case) but the alum trick had no impact.  I this case I figured the screw was probably stainless steel which contains chromium.  I had to drill out in the end.

I have used tea to remove rust which works very well. I did run into a problem on one movement though where it ate through the ends of the 3rd wheel. I'm not sure what tea would do with a screw stud. I may try it this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk