Timex 905 movement crown

Oh wise and wondrous watch gurus....

I have a Timex T49878: https://www.amazon.ca/Timex-T49878-Expedition-Military-Field/dp/B006KY5V0O 

It has sentimental value and I am trying to get it working again.

Specs:

Caliber: M905
Linge Size: 13½
Thickness (MM): 3.65mm
Hand Size: 120/70/20
Stem: 401-2017
Cell/Battery/Power Source: 2016
Tap Size: 10
Includes: Protective Case, Stem, and Power source.
Other Information: INDIGLO

I managed to find a new stem (401-2017)

Now I need a crown and it looks like a short post is used to operate the “glo”, but it isn’t clear what the length of the post.   

Can anyone identify a crown that I could use or indicate what I should be looking for ? 

Thanks for the prompt reply. Much appreciated.

Unfortunately, Cousins customer service has been either unwilling or unable to answer this question.  

I ordered the stem from Cousins and asked what crown I could use but so far all I have received is a runaround to what would seem a simple question from a company that theoretically has a expertise in this field. 

So far I have received a better reply from Chinese sellers on eBay than Cousins.

Hi MilTime,

Although I'm not familiar with Timex watches much, if you only require a crown, -- and you don't have the original -- you need to estimate the dimensions and find one among the supplier's listed ones. That's normal procedure....

Cheers,

Bob

On 9/7/2016 at 9:36 PM, bobm12 said:

Hi MilTime,

Although I'm not familiar with Timex watches much, if you only require a crown, -- and you don't have the original -- you need to estimate the dimensions and find one among the supplier's listed ones. That's normal procedure....

Cheers,

Bob

Many thanks Bobm12

Very useful info, new to this so its like groping in the dark at some points.

I found a hi-res pic online that is getting me closer.

I am waiting on the delivery of a digital caliper to measure the stem post on the case.

I suspect from the picture below that the rubber seal(s) are on the inside of the crown and the crown covers the stem post for waterproofing.

So once I can measure the stem post on the case, I suspect that I will be moving closer to target.  

s-l1600 (3).jpg

Correct, you need to measure the tube (outside diameter) where the crown inserts (case side). You will also measure the clearance where the crown will eventually sit (case side). Finally you will eye ball (with the help of the caliper if you would) the height (thickness?) of the crown or to be more specific, how much would it, once seated in its normal watch wearing position, will it protrude.

Eventually you will find a standard crown (water proof) that will fit the dimensions you come up with plus or minus...not really exact.

Esslinger makes the choice a little easier because of the way their page is structured so that would be a starting point to check on dimensions. Afterwards you can order from your preferred supplier. I would go by the ones without post (fail safe) unless I know the diameter of the post will fit the tube (inner diameter of tube).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bobm12 said:

Correct, you need to measure the tube (outside diameter) where the crown inserts (case side). You will also measure the clearance where the crown will eventually sit (case side). Finally you will eye ball (with the help of the caliper if you would) the height (thickness?) of the crown or to be more specific, how much would it, once seated in its normal watch wearing position, will it protrude.

Eventually you will find a standard crown (water proof) that will fit the dimensions you come up with plus or minus...not really exact.

Esslinger makes the choice a little easier because of the way their page is structured so that would be a starting point to check on dimensions. Afterwards you can order from your preferred supplier. I would go by the ones without post (fail safe) unless I know the diameter of the post will fit the tube (inner diameter of tube).

Many thanks for that Bob, thats extremely useful information !

Now I am moving forward ! :biggrin:

Edited by MilTimeCan

Most Timex watches that I had the misfortune to handle all those years ago. The buttons just pushed on, the stem never had a thread to take a screw on button. We used to send the little buggers to Scotland I think it was Dundee, someone on here will tell me If I've got the wrong town. The reason we sent them away they were not worth repairing.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/9/2016 at 9:54 AM, bobm12 said:

Very useful Bob !

The calipers just came in the mail.

The Tube Opening OD is 2.5 mm and the case thickness is 6 mm.

I am closing in on a candidate (below)

The post length is the last point of contention, its not flush and 1mm looks a bit long if I take the picture above into consideration. 

timex.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 10/2/2016 at 0:25 AM, bobm12 said:

That looks like a winner MilTime, let us know how you get on. Remember to add a little Loctite 222 to the threads of the stem...

Cheers,

Bob

Bob,

Finally got the crown.

Getting closer but not quite there yet :blink:

The stem and crown mate but not fully :huh:

But the watch movement does work again :woohoo-jumping-smiley-emoticon:

Not quite sure what the next option would be.

The crown doesn't fully insert into the tube, it protrudes significantly when fully inserted.

Now that I have specs, I am wondering if I should try a different crown or all they basically all the same in manufacture ?

Having never done this procedure, I am a bit reluctant to cut the stem with the threading.  

Thoughts ?

DSCN3842.JPGDSCN3843.JPG