Hello From Malaysia

anilv

Hi!

My name is Anil and I'm an amateur hobbyist when it comes to watches.

I've been collecting watches since I was 18yrs old... I'm now 44 so you can say it's not really a passing fancy with me! However until around the turn of the millenium my addiction has been restricted to collecting. It was only in 2000 I moved to my current home and made friends with a local watch-shop owner who started me off. He was not so much of a repair person (his father was though) as he stopped repairing watches but he gave me some tips and helped me get some tools.

A couple of months later, my father-in-law gave me a box with some tools and parts... turned out he used to repair watches in the 70s-80s in addition to his full time job as a TV repairman..!

The above two persons were important in helping me along my way but the main contributor to my increased confidence is the Internet... without the information freely given on the web I would not have progressed as a hobbyist. Also the supply of watch parts in malaysia is pretty bad.. What I need has to be ordered from overseas so this makes the internet all the more important.. A simple thing like a mainspring change would not have been possible without the internet!

Anyway, I hope I can learn more from this forum and also share what I've learnt so far (drop in the pond) :thumbsu:

Thanks.

Anil

Welcome to the Forum Anil, what an enlightening introduction. :-)

I certainly agree with your comments regarding the internet, without it I most certainly wouldn't be doing watch repairs. Professional watchmakers like Mark who runs the forum, and who are willing to share their professional knowledge in such great detail, has been a godsend to folk like ourselves.

Edited by Geo

Welcome to the Forums Anil,  you have probably come to the best place on the Internet,  there are all skill levels here and you should get an answer to any questions you might have.  Watches are a fascinating hobby,  just figuring out which of the 101 reasons a watch can stop is just the start, fixing the problem can be just as much fun.  ;)

Hi Anil - and a welcome from me. I'm more of a collector and researcher than anything else, and started off collecting watches just for the sheer beauty of the dials and movements - but I'm slowly increasing my knowledge of the technical side.