Does my quartz movement use current?

Have just purchased a Miyota 2105 for use in a quartz analogue watch (crown and date at 3 o'clock), which arrived with the crown/stem pulled completely out.  In this position even the seconds hand is not active, which is why I like the movement.  
Question:  In this crown/stem position, is any electrical power at all being used, or should I remove battery for storage?

Usually on quartz watches when the stem is pulled out they drive for the analog stepping motor is stopped but the quartz crystal continues to oscillate. So the watches in an extremely low power mode and will start up when pushed in.

How long do you plan on storing the watch? The reason for asking is every time you take the back off you risk getting foreign objects falling into the watch quartz watches really don't like anything any form a contamination that a mechanical watch would just grind through quartz watches will not. Then continuously opening and closing the back is hard on the back gasket.

So I have the spec sheet for the movement below it looks like they have a three year recommendation for battery life. So beyond three years definitely take the battery out if you plan on wearing the watch occasionally just leave the battery in.

http://www.citizen.co.jp/miyota_mvt/download/pdf/spec_2105_15.pdf

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnR725 said:

How long do you plan on storing the watch? The reason for asking is every time you take the back off you risk getting foreign objects falling into the watch quartz watches really don't like anything any form a contamination that a mechanical watch would just grind through quartz watches will not. Then continuously opening and closing the back is hard on the back gasket.

I think the OP is saying the the crown was pulled out at the last stop, not removed from the watch, neither the case back was opened  at all. That a perfectly safe way of extending battery life and even the movement one, even if just by a small fraction.

• Like 1

Thanks, both of you.  Yes, I meant the last stop, not removed.

Am considering setting up a 'tool' for measuring the current being drawn.  A bit tricky, as it would entail using 2 small pads of aluminium foil, separated by thin plastic foil, placed  between one of the battery poles and the contact in the movement and linked to an ammeter (should say microammeter!)..

10 minutes ago, boblalux said:

Thanks, both of you.  Yes, I meant the last stop, not removed.

Am considering setting up a 'tool' for measuring the current being drawn.  A bit tricky, as it would entail using 2 small pads of aluminium foil, separated by thin plastic foil, placed  between one of the battery poles and the contact in the movement and linked to an ammeter (should say microammeter!)..

That works, as well using an external battery holder and wiring. But if your watch works fine I'd spare the effort for a time when you are presented with a problematic movement, like "it eats batteries".

• Like 1

Your description with aluminum foil sounds risky. You can actually get little tiny test lead adapters to clip on the contacts of the watch.

Then just so you're aware you're going to be measuring some very tiny amounts of current. As we don't have a technical sheet for yours that gives specifications I found something roughly equivalent so you can see what you're trying to do test points etc.

http://www.ronda.ch/fileadmin/user_upload/Products/TA_BA/ta/TA_512_513_513S_515_515S_de_fr_en.pdf

Then just some general knowledge on quartz watches

http://www.witschi.com/assets/files/sheets/Knowledge Quartz Watch.pdf

• Like 1