Radium dial? Helva super compressor watch.

I am wondering what you think about this dial? Do you think it looks like a radium dial? On the bottom of the dial it says RA swiss made RA . The watch is from 1969 we think? Sorry for the bad pictures? 

SGTJ556 (1).jpgJxK0Bj1.jpg

6 minutes ago, vinn3 said:

if you are worried about radiation,  and  i does not  glow in the dark;  pass a geiger counter over it.  vinn

If i only had one? Anyone tested the geiger smart phone counters on Ebay or Amazon? Are they any good? 

i

49 minutes ago, rodabod said:

What is the text a the bottom of the dial?

It says RA swiss dial RA . That 's  why we think it's radium dial? But it's strange if the watch is from `69 why radium? It was banned `68. Maybe the only option is to get a geiger test? 

Just put it in the drawer for 2 days and get it out in the dark. If still bright, then it has some radioactive compound. 

If its brightness fades in the dark quickly then it is zinc-sulfide based, if still readable after one day in the dark, then it is amybe strontium-aluminate based. 

Ra on the dial however is indicating Radium. It is fading to 50% in about 1600 years, so it should be as bright as it was 50 years ago. 

By the way, one super compressor is my dream. I am jealous ;)

• Like 1

tridium is rather new.   radium on dials goes back  many years.  my counter was  sold as  military  surplus.  my german aircraft clock,  from 1040  will  set off the alarm.  so,  even though it does not glow in the dark  it's still  hot.  vinn

On 7/4/2016 at 0:14 PM, szbalogh said:

Just put it in the drawer for 2 days and get it out in the dark. If still bright, then it has some radioactive compound. 

If its brightness fades in the dark quickly then it is zinc-sulfide based, if still readable after one day in the dark, then it is amybe strontium-aluminate based. 

Ra on the dial however is indicating Radium. It is fading to 50% in about 1600 years, so it should be as bright as it was 50 years ago. 

By the way, one super compressor is my dream. I am jealous ;)

Me to :)  This is not my watch but I will have to work on it so it's me i am thinking about? Always nice to own a supercompressor nevertheless ? 

What movement could it be? AS 1568? 

Edited by rogart63

On 7/4/2016 at 0:14 PM, szbalogh said:

.... indicating Radium. It is fading to 50% in about 1600 years, so it should be as bright as it was 50 years ago. 

I have never seen this to be the case as the sulfide mix (or whichever substrate is used for the Radium to excite) usually deteriorates to the point where the watch no longer glows at all, despite still being radioactive.

Having looked elsewhere, as I guess the original poster probably has already, it certainly seems as if "Swiss RA" does suggest Radium. It may have been re-lumed with Tritium later though, so still worth checking.