Seiko mini shock blocks

Hi all, working on my 5106- xxxx, with 33 jewels, no less, and two things have come to puzzle me that I'm predicting someone here can resolve.  One, I'm pretty sure the cap jewels under the tiny "C" spring are flat against the pivot and domed against the "C" spring.  The reason I know this is my watch runs after cleaning, but reluctantly, so I suspect a jewel is in upside down and that domed face has removed any end shake and/or added preload.  I did look carefully, and could see any, but those jewels are really tiny.   Second question, is there a technique and/ or tool someone can recommend to remove these little blighters?  I've used the tip of my tweezers so far and distorted one spring, and savaged another.  There has to be a better way.  The big tri-lobed spring for the balance is no problem, by the way.  Suggestions?

image.jpeg

Put a 10x or 15x and check if the jewels are the right side up.

About the springs, search for seiko diafix. I think they are close. Basically you push from one side. Imho they are a nightmare!

Good luck!

The diafix springs are a pain i the b... .I leave them alone if they aren't very very dirty. Clean them with the plate or bridge and oil them from underside. 

I bought some old movements with diafix springs for using as spare parts. 

The c-shaped spring has a tab in the middle which is caught under a lip/groove.  Use a sharp tool and move the tab out of its groove. You don't need to lift because the spring s slightly  bowed when installed and will spring up. The two ’legs' will ride down in the groove, bending slightly to match the radius of the groove.

To install, fit the two legs in the groove, it should go in the grooves easily, then put the cap jewel in place. Next, slide the spring so the tab in the middle clears the lip of the groove, then use another tool to press down on the tab while pushing the spring under the groove .

Like anything else in watch repair, it gets easier with practise but I prefer working on these than the ones on the 7s36 models.

Oh, I would start by working with the movement inside a plastic bag!!

Anil

• Like 1

Thanks, all.  Nice to know I'm not the only one who curse these, and keep a donor movement on hand.  Anilv - thanks for the insight into using the center tab by moving both legs into the groove.  I'd noticed that installing is hard, because the c spring has to be perfectly centered or a leg kicks out.  Never thought of getting the center out first, then reversing that for install.  I can hardly wait to get back to the bench and try your technique.

again, thanks for the collected wisdom.  And I always think cleaning the jewels is worthwhile, if you know what I mean.

• Like 1