Tips for bending a second hand back

Have a Seiko 9139 that wont really make it to the middle. There i a half second wrong. It bugs me Have tried to bend it but it gets back in the same position again. If i can hold it still i would work i guess? But how should i hold the tail and the pivot area still som i can bend the long second a little. Under control.  

The proper way to fix this is:

1. Remove the second hand

2. Run the chronograph.

3. Stop the chrono

4. Press the chrono reset - this will zero the mechanism by striking the hammer against the chrono wheel heart piece

5. Support the chrono wheel pivot on an appropriate tool - either a special holder for the movement or something like a bergeon 5409

6. While firmly depressing the reset lever, install the second hand exactly at 12:00 and press firmly in place

Holding the reset lever will keep the chrono wheel locked at 12:00 enabling you to get the alignment perfect. It is critical to support the pivot/jewel else you are likely to dislodge the jewel.

1 hour ago, sstakoff said:

The proper way to fix this is:

1. Remove the second hand

2. Run the chronograph.

3. Stop the chrono

4. Press the chrono reset - this will zero the mechanism by striking the hammer against the chrono wheel heart piece

5. Support the chrono wheel pivot on an appropriate tool - either a special holder for the movement or something like a bergeon 5409

6. While firmly depressing the reset lever, install the second hand exactly at 12:00 and press firmly in place

Holding the reset lever will keep the chrono wheel locked at 12:00 enabling you to get the alignment perfect. It is critical to support the pivot/jewel else you are likely to dislodge the jewel.

Have a holder for supporting the jewel so that is not any problem. The second has a fixed point where it sits at the pivot. I just wanted to bend the second a little to the left making it more straight.

58 minutes ago, sstakoff said:

I have also used a seitz jeweling anvil with appropriate pusher as a platform to support the jewel/pivot

Have a tool for the job of supporting the jewels . Have to remove the oscillating weight but that is no big deal. 

I will keep it as is at least for now? 

Have you checked to see whether or not you can rotate the heart piece on the pivot? Unless the second hand is actually bent incorrectly I wouldn't want to bend it. Doesn't seem like the correct repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On Seiko 6139 you can't rotate anything. But i will figure something out? Have some ideas i will test.  Like having two supports and laying the hand on the side and pressing a little in the middle? 

Get two very small diameter nails and hammer them very closely together into a block of wood leaving about three millimetres sticking out.  Place the second hand face down between them.  Now starting at the tip end of the hand between the nails, gently push or pull the hand to ease out the bends slowly working your way to the centre tube. 

• Like 1