Omega Ebay restore

antonyh

Bought another Omega watch from Ebay, trouble with buying anything in the evening on the internet is, i usually have a can of beer in my hand .
Well i won it,  and then i looked at the pictures & i started to read the ebay page i could see where i went wrong.
Here is the picture of the movement, what can you see.

Anyway it arrived , its got a overcoil hairspring, i personally hate overcoil hairsprings, only from the fact that there so so easily damaged & this watch dates  from the 1930s.

So the postman arrives, i`m exited ( it does`t take much) the packet is so small & oh no so is the watch, total diameter of the case is 30.4mm .

26.JPG

Some of you may have seen it when it was up on Ebay.

The dial is basically blank.

More to follow once i get round to it

• Like 1

Give it a facelift and give it away as a nice present to a female who will appreciate it.Its a pity women's watches aren't as popular as men's because they have just as nice a movement inside and sometimes I wonder how they get so much inside such a small space.

• Like 1

Now THIS was a confidence booster!  I've been running into this more often than not and it's a pity people either measure incorrectly OR they won't list it/make it look bigger than it is.  I still take the blame as the buyer but there ARE two sides to every coin;)  Hey, it's still an Omega:D

4 hours ago, jnash said:

that has happened so so many times to me, have a bunch of cool watches that are tiny collecting dust

I'm in the same boat myself....my bag of "small" watches is at least 10 lbs.  Do you know what the heck we could do with these?  lol, I was thinking of making something out of them but most are too small for anything:/

• Like 1

Its a mans watch, 1930s, I've a couple of watches from the 30s and 40s, the fashion at that time was a lot smaller that today's hulking great big watches.

I've done a bit of work on it, but the timekeeping is a bit erratic, not really surprising for a watch of some 70 years old.

I don't normally go for anything quite this old ,but it's an Omega.

I used to look for those old Bulova's from 40's and 50's, I kept a few of the 23j autos with sunburst dials only because they  looked good on my wrist, the other day I saw a 63mm Invicta, you have to have a pretty big wrist to have one, nothing against Invicta, but the one I got in a lot must weight a stone or two! Oh yes, crown and stem replacement was 30 USD and 60-90 day wait, that was from Invicta!!!! Inside just ISA movement, got stem for 5 USD, still waiting for crown.invicta 3346.jpg

14 hours ago, antonyh said:
Bought another Omega watch from Ebay, trouble with buying anything in the evening on the internet is, i usually have a can of beer in my hand .
Well i won it,  and then i looked at the pictures & i started to read the ebay page i could see where i went wrong.
Here is the picture of the movement, what can you see.

Anyway it arrived , its got a overcoil hairspring, i personally hate overcoil hairsprings, only from the fact that there so so easily damaged & this watch dates  from the 1930s.

So the postman arrives, i`m exited ( it does`t take much) the packet is so small & oh no so is the watch, total diameter of the case is 30.4mm .

26.JPG

Some of you may have seen it when it was up on Ebay.

The dial is basically blank.

More to follow once i get round to it

an Omega is an Omega, I usually have more that one beer in my hand!

I unfortunately have eyes for Omega too.  Stay away from shopgoodwill as many can be found there- almost all in not working order!

Speaking of small watches- I've been working on a ladies Tissot and ladies Longines the last few days.  Beautiful tiny movements.  Not much more I can say in praise though.  Seems every screw requires the smallest driver in my kit.  I won't be buying another women's mechanical for a long, long time!

On 4/22/2016 at 10:55 AM, jeffc83 said:

I'm in the same boat myself....my bag of "small" watches is at least 10 lbs.  Do you know what the heck we could do with these?  lol, I was thinking of making something out of them but most are too small for anything:/

Find a way to fit three or four of them into a larger case, wrap a few rubber bands around them so they work together and make a custom chrono!!!

• Like 2

I've one or two watches around that diameter in my collection - mostly from the 1930s or '40s - and I have no qualms about wearing them. I also have one or two at 40mm and 44mm diameter, and the same goes for those. I also like 35mm dials - if it's a watch, I'll wear it.

As said earlier, men's watches were much smaller by comparison with today's gas meter dials - and it's always interesting to open up a medium to larger size case and find a much smaller movement inside it! Movement size is certainly no guide to quality or accuracy.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 3

On 4/22/2016 at 11:52 AM, jeffc83 said:

......................... OR they won't list it/make it look bigger than it is.  I still take the blame as the buyer but there ARE two sides to every coin............

i couldn't have said it better. i bought a gruen watch a few weeks ago. it looked really great in the picture. yeah, right....it's about the size of a dime. same with the tissot i got last year. i really think the deceptions were intentional.

• Like 1