Tip On Polishing Pivots

A 70 year old pocket watch repair man said you go into a drug store and go where they have nail products and a nail polishing buffing cube. I tried it and pics are attached. post-68-0-52970200-1398800316_thumb.jpgpost-68-0-04881700-1398800351_thumb.jpg. As you can see the fine metal on the used buffing cube. This sample was use on a blue stock wire for pivots that was about 1mm in dia. Thought it was interesting so I thought I would pass it along. I strongly believe in this day and age where it is hard to find the master and apprenticeship connection that besides a full on course on watch repair that is expensive and competitive folks like me need these forums to learn what others have mastered or skills they have learned. Where I live there are no clubs or a big interest in horology. This site has helped me immensely. Thank you fellow horologists.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

I strongly believe in this day and age where it is hard to find the master and apprenticeship connection that besides a full on course on watch repair that is expensive and competitive folks like me need these forums to learn what others have mastered or skills they have learned. Where I live there are no clubs or a big interest in horology. This site has helped me immensely. Thank you fellow horologists.

Very well said, and I wholeheartedly agree!

Edited by Geo