Sale of watches

presto0906

I have read the forum rules regarding sales ads - I fully respect them. As many a collector I guess, I buy watches I am initially drawn to, keep most :) - and occasionally sell on a few - in the latter regard, is it in order on this forum to inform members of the posting of a watch sale on an auction site?    

OK no bother - but why not a 'sales corner' sub-forum before one resorts to eBay - I would always prefer to make forum peeps aware of what might be available for love rather than profit ! 

Also I hope this will be a friendly forum - I have done quite a few (hot) work repairs on PCB, SMC's - and mechanical cameras over the years - so I am well used to precision loupe work. Watch bits are these days huge in comparison to SMCs - hence my attraction at my age:)  

14 hours ago, presto0906 said:

OK no bother - but why not a 'sales corner' sub-forum before one resorts to eBay - I would always prefer to make forum peeps aware of what might be available for love rather than profit ! 

Also I hope this will be a friendly forum 

This was a decision made by Mark who started the forum, a decision that was unanimously backed by the moderators after much discussion.

Regarding your question about it being a friendly forum; you will be hard pushed to find a more friendly and helpful forum, just have a read of replies to some of the introduction threads for confirmation.  

• Like 2

Also I hope this will be a friendly forum - I have done quite a few (hot) work repairs on PCB, SMC's - and mechanical cameras over the years - so I am well used to precision loupe work. Watch bits are these days huge in comparison to SMCs - hence my attraction at my age:)  

Hi presto. Please be assured that a lot of thought went into this decision. But we decided not to have a sales/classifieds section. We have very good reasons that I will not go into but please be assured the decision was made for the good of this community :)

• Like 1

My take on it, this is a selfless and friendly forum not tarnished with interests of promoting or taking sides in activities related to personal business, gain and/or money. That's why ebay and others exist.

We are just sharing knowledge and helping one another, each in their own capacity...and yes, there is a thin line to the sales subject sometimes. But, for crying out loud man, everything is not money and sales! We just want to chill and talk about our passion: watches, and do it among friends. And that is a good reason among many not to have sales, or a section dedicated to that, in the forum. Like all decisions, we had to draw a line an weight the pros and cons and believe me, the pros outweighed the cons.

In any case, enjoy and be welcome.

Cheers,

Bob

There are other places to buy and sell watches - like when my friend bought 'a real Rolex' from a guy displaying watches on a beach blanket in Jamaica.

Presto, I'm sure your intentions are honourable but this is now that kind of forum; however, such forums do exist. Good luck.

• Mark locked this topic