What shall I look for in buying a watchmaker's bench?

swordfish

Gentlemen (and ladies, if any are here), I seek your advice. I'm ready to take the plunge, and buy a proper watchmaker's bench. I am a hobbyist who has outgrown my desktop mini-bench.

I know that I want a work bench with many drawers. One of my motivations in getting a bench is the fact that my work-related clutter has spread laterally because I have virtually no usable drawer space now.

What else should I look for in a bench? I like the idea of a roller top which I can pull down over work in progress to (1) keep my wife's cats from poking around, and (2) reduce the eye-noise of the work site. Is there a downside to that? What other features should I look for?

If there is a question I've not posed here, but should have, please weigh in with guidance. Thanks to all of you!

—Eric

Youngstown, Ohio

USA

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are purpose build benches that sort of curve around your body. However most don,t use these (such as myself) 

I just adapted a workbench getting it the correct height for me. I use draws & stacking shelves attached to the walls. 

Your space I expect will be different.

As clock boy stated the height is most important. After about 30 years sitting at the wrong workbench height for me I developed Spondylitis and it put an end to my watch/ clockmaking, I don't want anyone to end up like me. Make sure it is going to be big enough for what you want, you can never have a work bench that is to big because you will begin to use up the space. I would think hard and take a look on this forum some have taken photos of their place of work and posted them. If I were in your shoes I would have a bench made for me, if you are a handy man you could make your own. Light is also very important, what type of lighting are you thinking of. As you said draw space is another, what do you intend to keep in them and will they be big enough for all you want to fit in them. Shelves are good to have I had them all around, what didn't go in draws went on the shelves. If you have a lathe and cleaning machine where are they going to go you need separate space for both. Make sure when you sit you have plenty of leg space, you don't want to be sitting with your knees rubbing the work bench.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...