6E/50 help

Danh

Hi there,

new to the forum and watch repair scene, collected watches for years though (picked the habit up from my dad when he was alive.

anyway, I am looking for help with an old 1941 military issue 6E/50 pocket watch

the watch winds with a decent tension, but then there is the faintest click noise and the tension seems to drop. The watch will only run for about 4 hours before stopping.

I am guessing it's the mainspring, but my previous experience with mainspring issues is no tension at all.

the movement says 15 jewels, Swiss made, 30. There is no brand name anywhere on the watch.

thoughts most appreciated.

My suspicion is that the mainspring is slipping from its attachment inside its barrel. Some mainsprings are attach with a hook-like tip. It could be that the tip is deranged, and cannot hold in place when the spring is tightly wound. As it slips loose (with a click), the spring expands in diameter, reattaching to the inner barrel with less tension, just enough to run for four hours. If I am correct, you will need to repair or replace the mainspring.

Disclaimer: I am a hobbyist, not a professional, so someone more knowledgeable may have a better idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+1 @Swordfish. MaIn spring slipping from hooking point on barrel or possibly from the arbor hook (unlikely though ).

A pic of the movement may help to id it but if it's stamped 30 then I'm thinking possibly a Revue GT30. Nice solid movement. 

Time for a new mainspring!

Looks like the bridle has broken off the outer end and someone has softened the end of the spring and folded it over instead of fitting a new one. The outer end of the Spring (at 3 o'clock in your photo) should sit firmly into a step in the outer wall of the barrel. With a proper welded bridle, that short section that doubles back sits flush against the spring and the barrel wall. As the Spring end is soft, it has bent over and won't firmly in the step. (Unless you have any holes in the barrel which would indicate a different type of bridle)

The arbor end of the Spring should wrap more snugly around the arbor too.

Best way to find a new spring is to identify the movement, and order by movement type. If not you will need to measure up the old one.

Are there any markings under the balance which might identify the movement? A photo of that might help someone on here tell you what it is.

S

Edited by StuartBaker104

That is a Revue GT30

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&2&2uswk&Revue_30

Main spring can be had from Cousins part number  GR5894, although Ranfft gives slightly different dimensions I think that the movement is solid enough for the differences not to be significant.

I have had several of these go through my hands and they are basically a good sturdy work horse of a movement, and fairly easy to works on.

• Like 1

Just wanted to say thank you for all the help, the spring arrived today from Cousins and the watch now has a beautiful strong heartbeat once again

of course I am totally addicted now, but I needed a new hobby, so that's all good too

As a foot note, as part of repairing, I bought another broken 6E/50 cheap of the bay with the same revue 30 movement for parts. (Turned out very handy)

so I am now on the look out for any parts from the same movement to repair that one too if anyone has any kicking around, especially around the fourth wheel as the one inside this one has a broken spindle?