Seiko Franken, Sort Of

WileyDave

Got this last week, I knew the dial (6349) and case cal (6106) numbers didn't line up, so no surprise when back came off. The dial is obviously a mod. Seller did not admit, and I did not press him, just wanted to let him know that I knew the difference. Day wheel is mid-east, (Arabic). The stone markers look real, I will test when swapping. Plans for fitting that dial on real 23j, which I just received, (5126), fairly plain black stick markers. Does anyone know if this swap is possible? In the mean time I look to my sources for dial leg pacement between two movements.

post-1800-0-37924600-1458661410_thumb.jp

post-1800-0-99135700-1458661415_thumb.jp

post-1800-0-96225300-1458661820_thumb.jp

From India?

Anyway, Seiko 5s are designed to it's easy to swap parts.

No, not as far as I can tell, but who knows anymore. there is a big seller of Seiko 5's on ebay from india, I don't buy or sell abroad, too many possibilities for failure.

Think the lower Seiko looks good as is? Why build a new franken? The upper movement looks more like a 6309? 

You know you are right, I didn't think about that, I suppose I could try to find the proper movement for dial. back of case says 6106, good movement, probably easier to find dial for that one, thanks for input.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 2:54 AM, Peixian said:

That watch looks quite old. and there is rust on the back of the watch. where did you got it

sorry I didn't get back to your question sooner, there is some pitting on case, but no rust, watch is running proper for days now, I bid $28 on the bay. 496711 is case serial number

• 3 weeks later...