Stuck Cap Jewel Setting

I have removed the two screws from the sides of the cap jewel setting of the balance in an Elgin, B.W. Raymond 18s pocket watch that I'm working on, but I can't get that setting to come out so I can remove, clean and oil the cap jewel.  Is there a technique or a special tool?  I'm hoping that I don't have to push the entire hole jewel / cap jewel assembly out of the plate and balance cock just to get the cap jewel off.

It's already been through the cleaner, I was afraid to remove the screws before the cleaner because I might have to search for the cap jewel if it came out.  I tried the rodico, but after multiple tries, the setting didn't even budge.

Isn't a one part with the part where the screws are? You could just slide a knife under the cap jewel  with the metal around it ? 

Are you saying that I can pry up on it without bending or breaking something?  I was afraid to try that.

I'm hoping that I don't have to push the entire hole jewel / cap jewel assembly out of the plate and balance cock just to get the cap jewel off.

Yes you have to do that.

If the cap jewel don't come easily, use a stacking tool and carefully select a concave punch to push the setting, never  the jewel.

Ok.  I will go ahead and try the staking tool idea.  I'll just have to be careful to follow the advice of only pushing on the setting, not the jewel.  Oh boy...scary, scary stuff for a newbie.

Alternatively don't stress, clean the whole part, lubricate and reinstall. it's not that which will make the difference.

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1

Ok, I set up my staking tool to push the jewel out, and before I could even apply any pressure, just the weight of the stake popped the jewel, setting and all, right out of the plate.  Now I won't be afraid to do it this way the next time.  Thanks for all the help everybody!

• Like 1

• Similar Content

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• John will ask this question anyway: how did the watch run before your service?
    • I have demagnetised. I would say the hairspring looks fair, mostly evenly spaced though not perfect, no coils touching. I don't have the skills or equipment (an adequate microscope, a good way to remove and replace the hairspring from the balance wheel to work on it) to improve the hairspring so I would need to source a NOS balance complete. I will give it a closer look though.
    • Haha ok so let us begin . Yes the oats tin is a temporary modified heat reflector/ retainer until i find something more..... lets say  " the part " looking. No not mcgyvered but an A Team special reconstructed spinney thingymabob whirlygig device.  The speed of both the drill and hairdryer are controlled by a very sophisticated and complicated piece of apparatus called a " SPEED CONTROLLER " at the extortionate price of £15.99 . No i dont need to hold anything the drill is in a cheap drill stand ( cost £5 for both from a carboot sale ) the travel on the press is 85mm which is enough to lower and raise the basket in and out of the cleaning jars. The " speed controller "  😄 is just a voltage regulator and usable on just about any electrical device to control the speed of a motor or heat output within the full range of a domestic AC electrical supply. Shellaced parts i hand clean and dry separately, i dont risk them at all, shellac will start to melt at around 65 °. The timer , yep an old Smiths timer, i think that was a quid and the white appliance is a food dehydrator, i rarely use that now, i think parts need to be dried quicker than that can achieve. I think thats covered everything.  Feel free to ask anything else. Besides the basket you are looking at around 100 quid in total for everything you see here including the ultrasonic and the dehydrator. 
    • Good then looks like the plan is a video of tear down and reassembly and lubrication of the ST36. I like the video too because I can show to my family and friends what new crazy hobby I have.
    • Great piece of kit. Is that a tin of oats? I see it looks like to be a macgyvered power drill. Nice. How did you control the speed? Don't tell me you hold it while it does all the cleaning cycles? Where did you get that nice mount and stand for the drill? Why was there a need for a step down transformer for 230V to 143V?? Does the hair dryer not get hot enough to melt the shellac on the pallet fork and such? That's a repurposed oven timer right? What's the white appliance? Cool.