Preamble To A Story

I have a story to tell, it's about a man which left this world some years ago, and his many watches.

I've chosen this forum because of its rich human empathy and absence of classist attitude. It will take some more time for me to tell it completely, as it's made of memories that aren't mine in first place, yet must be told with respect and consideration, as they relate to someone that hasn't been lucky at all in his life - Uncle Mario, an avid collector of watches of no value whatsoever, as he couldn't afford anything better. To him, what is junk was a valuable technical and fashion item, and consistently he would get bored of each pretty quickly - does that remind someone that we know?

Below one of the highlights. One jewel unadjusted, but as soon you shake it, it ticks happily just like the first day his owner had it.

To be continued.

post-1542-0-21858200-1457473858_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Nice, thanks for sharing...this story MUST continue!  I have a bunch of 1 Jewel watches myself and actively service them.  They're not junk but do need TLC a little more often.  I love them MORE because they're pin-lever and tick loud;)

Oh and I am one of those that typically only wears a watch once or twice, which is probably why I have too many now, haha.

Edited by jeffc83

• 1 month later...

thank you for the encouragement. Sorry, i'm begin slow in adding to this. These are the only digital watches Uncle Mario had that arrived to me. 

P4092630.JPG

The white one has a one piece molded strap-back that I had never seen... All started fine with a new battery, just one need a piece of cardboard to keep the the LCD contacts pressed to the module, and new strap.

Below a partial is what he has left. I'm told there were more, but the "really outrageous" ones have been thrown away, which makes me wonder what they really were .

P4092631.JPG 

The small drawer is where I sit while working on my "bench", as it is of the ideal height.

It must be said there are very few mechanical watches in there, which I will show later, or perhaps in some exciting "15 jewels economy movement walk through". But Uncle Mario could not afford more, he was a pensioner with a slight intellectual disability. He had to cry and lie to get the money for his collection from his relatives. I think he was exploited by some shops that kept selling him always the same watches in different fashion style. Interestengly I don't think that is much different from the profile of many watch collectors.

7 minutes ago, jdm said:

I think he was exploited by some shops that kept selling him always the same watches in different fashion style. Interestengly I don't think that is much different from the profile of many watch collectors.

Maybe that was a compromise between what he liked and what he could afford...as long as he was happy with them. IMHO, no one will enjoy one's collection more and give it more meaning and value, no matter how frugal, modest or numerous, than its owner.