Movement Replacement Cost

Earl

Does anyone know the cost to replace the movement, ETA 251.262, for a Tag Heuer 6000 quartz chronograph? I had two quotes, one for $250 and another for $400 from a couple of different watch shops. Is the 250 a knock off or true cost. 

Please help. 

Thanks 

Earl

Seriously id by the movement myself and install it myself if I were you mate

But that requires tools and skills, perhaps the OP just wants the watch repaired for a fair price and joined the forum for the purpose of knowing.

Seriously id by the movement myself and install it myself if I were you mate

You're making a lot of assumptions about his capabilities, it's entirely possible he hasn't ever touched a watch in that aspect, in which case, no he should definitely not DIY it. 

Does anyone know the cost to replace the movement, ETA 251.262, for a Tag Heuer 6000 quartz chronograph? I had two quotes, one for $250 and another for $400 from a couple of different watch shops. Is the 250 a knock off or true cost. 

Please help. 

Thanks 

Earl

I looked up my usual supplier and the movement costs $110 (bearing in mind some business often have to charge more than the actual cost of parts to truly recover that cost)

I'm a little confused however, normally on decent swiss movements such as this it is not a straight swap we carry out, we would normally dismantle and service the watch, replacing parts as needed. 

The wide disparity in price will probably be a combination of differences in how efficient the business is run (so they need to cover less overhead and the money is being divided among less people requiring a greater charge on parts as well as labor) and secondly, how much the people at these watch repair shops value their time. 

alternatively it might be the larger quote is for a shop that isn't sufficiently trained to service these kinds of movement, but are trained enough to switch them out, it represents the least cost effectiveness for the business to do this, if i had to a movement exchange on this watch I would have to quote you a similar price. 

Edited by Ishima