Recent Purchase

wls1971

new%20watches_zps2mrcxrvd.jpg

Adding to a collection on a budget is always a challenge, but careful searching and in some cases luck can throw up  some interesting watches  that don't break the bank the most expensive watch in this group cost me £300.00 the cheapest £13.00 .

The Tavennes was the cheapest of the bunch its a stainless steel case measuring 28mm across so very small by todays standards and dates from the mid 30's it has a beautiful 15 jewel adjusted movement and is in nice condition it was a late night purchase on ebay.

The omega cost me £99.00 and was a buy it now purchase on ebay the watch was listed as spares or repair it dates to 1933 and only required a cleaning  and oiling and has been running nicely ever since. I love the dial on it very deco in feel.

The Lowenthal chronograph was the most expensive of the bunch at £300.00. It has a Landeron-Hahn coloumn wheel movement and is unusually large for the period at 40mm across It dates to the mid 30's and has a all stainless case. The intresting feature of this early Landeron mono- pusher is that it acts just like a two pusher chronograph in that pressing the button once starts the chrono running, pressing again stops it but the button can be pulled back outwards to restart the chronograph without resetting the chrono hands. The watch is running well and keeping time but requires a good clean.

The HRL watch is one I have never heard of so more than likely a private label watch and is fitted with a very clean A Schild 15 jewel movement that one cost me £17.00 including postage off ebay

The Doxa Ultraspeed was bought from a local Pawnbrokers, I saw it in the window at a give away price and thought there must be a mistake on the price it came with box and warranty card .It was a limited run  of only 30 pieces provided to commemorate the 2012 Historic Ice Trophy in Austria and is numbered on the back it has a nicely reworked 7750 movement which can be seen through a sapphire glass back with added power reserve complication and measures 44mm across. After the lovely assistant had shown me the watch I parted with the £49.99 asking price and left the shop.

• Like 3

You certainly have a nice collection there. Being a vintage chronograph fan, I particularly like the the Lowenthal. Having said that, the Doxa for the money was a real bargain that I could more than happily live with. :)

Being a vintage chronograph fan, I particularly like the the Lowenthal.

Yeah there is something very special about a vintage chronograph in general, the Doxa whilst being a lucky bargin, is pretty much a bog standard variation of the 7750 theme that seems to have dominated the chronograph market for the last 40 years.

Having owned quite a lot of chronos from the 1930-1970 period which in my view was the golden age for chronograph production in terms of quality and innovation,

Sadly I had my favorite chronograph from the period stolen a long time ago  a large18ct gold rose gold three register Eberhard with hinged case back large copper coloured dial. That was a one button chronograph that used a slider on the case to stop the chronograph rather than a pusher I have scoured ebay for years in the hope that will eventually turn up.