Hello From Bulgaria

disonster

Hello to everyone,
My name is Martin from Sofia, a young watch repair and watch servicing hobby enthusiast.

I have watched videos and tutorials here for a several weeks and found them very useful.

I hope that I will find a lot of proselytes here to explore this very fine and delicate world of mechanical watches.

Best regards,

Martin,

As I found information in the net, Darwil has been swiss brand (before quartz revolution) dedicated mainly for soviet block (may be due to sales policy reasons).

Any way as soon as I start with the project will open new topic.

Best regards,

Martin,

Ok
My first project with Darwil watch is actually my first teacher :)
Disassembling the watch just show me how gentle and careful should I be ( I lost one screw and broke another - please dont ask me how).
Any way the watch is now clean after ultrasonic bath, and after I find the proper new screws will start with assembling it again.
The big question I have always had is which is the proper way to clean the dial from all the dirts and deposits (disolving them ) wthout erasing the paint prints.

I tryed with standart degreaser that anybody have at home (in the kitchen)  and cotton pad, with let say good results but ofcourse erased the paint prints.

So my question is if there is solution to clean the dial and to disolve all deposits without damaging the paint prints ?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Martin,

Hello Martin,

Working to clean old dials is problematic and ridden with pitfalls. At some stage you have to think of what you want, if the watch is old there may well be patina and discolouration that is not removable and you have to live with it as it is actually part of the ageing process and in keeping with the watch.

If it is dirt however, you may get lucky with a mild soap solution applied gently with a cotton bud or the like but once you start on the solvents route you can expect a few disasters .

A lot depends on identification of the way the dial is printed and upon what. Ceramic bases are different from metallic based and hand painted numerals different from printed. Then there may be additional coatings such as varnish etc. Moisture damage often gets underneath the coating and lifts or discolours it. Identify what the type of base is before you start.

In short unless it is simple dirt, I would leave it alone. If you want perfection it comes at a high price and you could look at refinishing of the dial or better still buy a refinished dial but keep the old one with the watch in case you want to sell it at a future date.

This is only my personal view of course and not necessarily what everyone would want.

Cheers and Enjoy the forum,

Vic

Dear Vic,

Thanks a lot for your detailed explanation.What I'm afraid from, is if the paints ( painted or printed) are water soluble, and if cleaning with water and soap can erase them.But as you said all the techniques of dial making are different.What I have decided to try also (on old damaged dial ) is if I can ge better results by using mild soap water solution or dishwashing soap in ultrasonic bath.My considerations are if ultrasonc waves can damage and remove the paint.I will try and will share with you.

Best regards,

Martin,

DON'T USE ULTRASONIC CLEANING. Sorry for shouting Martin, but it will totally ruin the dial. I tried it once when I started off in horology and found that it severely damages the painted finish. If left long enough, it it will remove the paint altogether.

• Like 2