1964 Seiko Re-Cased.....

Hi All , 

I was surfing the 'Bay about 2 weeks ago and came across this 1964 Seiko Sportsman Seahorse , Waterproof , Diashock 17 jewel , With a very clean Seikosha 957 Movement . It has the old style model number on the case back and the serial number is 7 digits , not the 6 digits that they use now . The model # is J13082 .

It was being offered as a non-runner....as-is . 

It turned out that the balance roller jewel was not in the fork of the pallet and it was over wound . I remedied that pretty easy and although it does need a service , It keeps excellent time .

As I bought it...

post-808-0-12395500-1449124276_thumb.png

post-808-0-77014100-1449124293_thumb.png

This pic from the internet shows the movement....my movement looks very clean..

post-808-0-46207800-1449124351_thumb.png

I bought this NOS case and back with the original crystal , movement ring , and caseback gasket [lubed and in good shape] , and the original crown that says SW . I am not familiar with that designation so I asked around and came up with the consensus that it stood for "Seiko Watch "...I am not really sure of that yet....The best part is that the case is the same model number and the serial # is different by about 5 or 6 months of the same year . The case back still has the protective plastic on it .

post-808-0-68892000-1449124398_thumb.png

post-808-0-60064200-1449124421_thumb.png

And finally , here is the Re-Case....I like it.....

post-808-0-57111100-1449124479_thumb.jpg
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks , I have quite a few Seikos and Citizens including new ones , vintage , solars , tuning fork , electric and electronic , quartz , ani/digi's ,radio controlled , and satellite controlled .  I also have an assortment of dive watches from both manufactures , new and vintage .

I have yet to get the Seiko 62MAS and the "Arnie", but I have a few 6105 models including a very clean 6105 - 8110 model with the original signed Seiko waffle strap .

• Like 1

that is a beauty! i'm really liking the yellow gold and stainless together. very well done on that combination. i'm still a sucker for those old hand wind seikos.

i used to not like that silver / gold combination until i walked into an aprilia dealer back in '04. he had a brand new '03 mille on the floor. it was silver paint with gold ohlins shock and OZ forged wheels. i'm a fan of that combination ever since.

did you get your case from a vendor named kidith by any chance? she sells quality NOS cases. picked up a few myself and am eying another.

EDIT: i just saw your reply to me on another thread. yup - kidith.  let me ask: how did you know that the case you bought would fit the seahorse movement? i've been toying with picking up one of the hand winder cases, but i don't know what fits into it.

Edited by ramrod

EDIT: i just saw your reply to me on another thread. yup - kidith.  let me ask: how did you know that the case you bought would fit the seahorse movement? i've been toying with picking up one of the hand winder cases, but i don't know what fits into it.

In this watch the model # was the same on both cases . J13082 , and the serial # was the same year with 5 months difference . On Ebay I searched for Seiko Sportsman Seahorse and the case came up . I believe  the Sportsman and Seahorse combo is not that common .

The other case I bought from kidith was for an identical Seiko movement and dial of another watch I had that had the original case . I had already polished the original cushion case and installed a new crystal and when I found the same NOS case from kidith I got it . Both watches look great . You can't beat the NOS cases for a new look .  At the $19 kidith sells the cases for , you can't go wrong .

A few months back I was messaging kidith about the cases , trying to find out which Seiko 8 digit [ xxxx - xxxx ] case numbers  they had , and they told me that they bought out a supply from a closed down department store that had a jeweler , but they didn't know the first thing about the Seiko watch numbers . So I slowly schooled them . I also suggested that they join the SCWF so they could ask questions and possibly sell the cases there . I know that the forum members there would be happy to get these NOS cases .

• 5 years later...
  • 3 months later...