Bulova 6Cl With Couple Of Gremlins

A few weeks ago I purchased off the Bay a non working/for spares Bulova with 6CL movement.

However I encountered a couple of gremlins with this watch and thought I would share.

On the strip down the first gremlin I noticed that a previous repairer had screwed the train bridge without aligning one of the wheels & left this nice divot. Luckily no damage to the wheel pivot.

post-234-0-70763500-1447508170_thumb.jpg

The second gremlin was the mainspring had some kinks in it

post-234-0-13954800-1447508221_thumb.jpg

However when I measured for a replacement I found that the wrong size spring had been fitted. The height should be 1.40 with a strength of .08 but the spring fitted was 1.25H & strength of .06.

post-234-0-42978800-1447508271_thumb.jpg

This movement was dirty but is quite a simple in design so I have added not to many pics of the assembly. Also apologies re- the pic quality but they were taken with my mobile.

post-234-0-09038500-1447508354_thumb.jpg

Gear train

post-234-0-68496500-1447508386_thumb.jpg

Gear train with bridge fitted it was a bit fiddly to fit 

post-234-0-82696600-1447508450_thumb.jpg

Barrel bridge & assembly fitted

post-234-0-26436000-1447508488_thumb.jpg

Keyless side assembled

post-234-0-85495900-1447508541_thumb.jpg

Dial up reading on the Timographer

post-234-0-00395800-1447509816_thumb.jpg

Watch finish just needs a nice strap to make it look really nice

Job Done

post-234-0-40266500-1447508593_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Great jot CB, very detailed work and awesome results.

Beautiful watch, by the way, now you've made me try and find a similar one out there to work on. Great! The list goes on and on! :)

By the way, what would be a good way to find an equivalent main spring in this case (the process, maybe)? Does Bulova keeps some sort of database or is it listed in the service sheet? My experience with main springs is limited to clean, oil and "put back" or simply find a new one from a supplier! (usually the complete assembly).

Also, what would be a way to find the correct/equivalent mainspring, even if there is no main spring inside the barrel of one of those ebay watches we come across sometimes? How about the "hook/slot" at the end? I've heard about annealing but I wouldn't know the process either for a modification. This would be an interesting topic to talk and "teach"! Thank you in advance for your insight on this interesting matter! Keep up the good work CB!

@rogart, No, rogart, it is kind of bent or dented where the coils cross in the picture, or at least that's what it looks like in my computer.

Cheers,

Bob

Great jot CB, very detailed work and awesome results.

Beautiful watch, by the way, now you've made me try and find a similar one out there to work on. Great! The list goes on and on! :)

By the way, what would be a good way to find an equivalent main spring in this case (the process, maybe)? Does Bulova keeps some sort of database or is it listed in the service sheet? My experience with main springs is limited to clean, oil and "put back" or simply find a new one from a supplier! (usually the complete assembly).

Also, what would be a way to find the correct/equivalent mainspring, even if there is no main spring inside the barrel of one of those ebay watches we come across sometimes? How about the "hook/slot" at the end? I've heard about annealing but I wouldn't know the process either for a modification. This would be an interesting topic to talk and "teach"! Thank you in advance for your insight on this interesting matter! Keep up the good work CB!

@rogart, No, rogart, it is kind of bent or dented where the coils cross in the picture, or at least that's what it looks like in my computer.

Cheers,

Bob

I guessed something was wrong because the spring just seemed too low in the barrel. When I went on cousins they gave a different size to what I was measuring. To double check I went on Ranfit web site & they also gave the same size as cousins. My GR catalog does not show the 6CL so I measured the height of the barrel just to treble check 1.40 fitted. There is a formula to work this out but if you go to this link it works it out for yea.

http://www.nawcc-index.net/CalcMainspringLength.php

• Like 1

That kink? Doesn't it come from the mainspring itself . Looks like the same shape as the mainspring end . 

Roger the pic is not that good but it was badly out of flat as well as the few kinks. In my option it,s just not worth re-fitting a dodgy spring.