Omega Versus Cousins

I just thought it would be interesting to post my experience of original Omega ub crystals versus Cousins generic parts with an omega symbol.

I have a vintage Seamaster and fitted a Cousins steel ring crystal some months ago. The diameter at 29.6mm was right, but Cousins do not offer any range of heights.

Looking straight on, everything was ok, but at an angle, the edge distortion was significant. The crystal also scratched very easily. I have just replaced with a genuine Omega part, at 3 times the price.

So what's the difference? Well the Omega part is 0.5 mm lower. Sounds like nothing, but it makes a significant difference visually. The chrome ring is wider with a shallower angle. It's hard to describe how that affects the illumination of the dial, but it does. The edge distortion is also gone.

So maybe no surprises. We buy watches because of the way they look (well I do anyway), and will therefore be critical if they don't look right. Not quite right was annoying me, and it's surprising how much difference these minor details make.

So what's my point? Well hopefully when we can no longer buy a genuine Omega part, there are better quality generic alternatives or sadly these old watches will start to lose some of their subtle beauty...

S

• Like 3

I think you're talking about an acrylic cristal, 7 GBP generic Vs 25 for the original? Not too bad in either case. Consider that owners of Omega and other bespoken brands are being asked up to USD 600 (yes six hundreds) for a crystal change by "authorized dealers". In the future who is able to make good replacement parts may be able to enjoy a good market - and would deserve success IMHO.

Edited by jdm
  • Like 2