Balance only running when dial facing up

Hi all,

I have been working on a Timor Cal 6060 (Dirty Dozen) which was previously a non-runner, having replaced the mainspring and cleaned all components, I believe I have found the (second) fault!

When facing up, the balance wheel will stop abruptly after a few seconds, but run continually when facing down (dial side up), any thoughts would be appreciated, my initial thoughts was the balance wheel making contact with the pallet bridge but seems odd...

Image attached for reference.

Cheers,

Rich

431889399_1499974533932618_2070071982463402703_n.jpg

Hi usually that sort of problem is associated with the balance pivots being worn or Broken or the balance jewels being cracked or chipped, maladjusted balance spring catching the cock or fourth wheel. These are the basics there are other reasons but as you have to start somewhere start with the most common reasons then work outwards.

The pivots look OK. In this position, balance may rub on the pallet bridge, the roller table may rubb on the pallet fork, the bottom of roller table may rubb on the main plate, and on the tip of the screw that fixes the bottom endstone plate, the impulse jewel may rubb on guard pin, the rounded part of the pivot may rubb on the hole jewe too. Thiss all may be due to broken, missing or moved down endstone, or the plate with the stone has some dirt or other obsticle under it. But, sometimes different odd reasons can exist, like for example someone has changed the balance from a donnor movement. All the reasons are visible and must be checked. For beginning, remove the lever and it's bridge and do the free oscillations test.

Edited by nevenbekriev
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

One more thing I’d add to the excellent list by nevenbekriev, check that you haven’t accidentally switched the top and bottom endstones of the balance wheel. 

The endstones are sometimes of different thicknesses, and switching them can cause end shake problems that can result in a watch that won’t run dial down. 

Hope that helps,

Mark

• Like 2