I got a pair of spring bar pliers off ebay the chinese version, the pliers look ok and they hold the pins securely, unfortunately non of the pins fit any of the spring bars i've tried.

It came with 10 different sized pins, 4 pairs  o f U shaped  pins,   1 pair of V shaped pins, i measured the size of the U shaped recesses using micro drill bits as a gauge then measured the drill bit with a micrometer,  i get 2 pairs with 0.4mm opening, 1 pair 0.5mm and the largest is 0.6mm, none of these fit the spring bars i've tried them on, are these sizes incorrect.

The photo below shows the pin sizes which measure true but the U is smaller and range from 0.4mm to 0.6mm, what size are quality pins such as bergeon or horotec, does any one have a pair of the chinese spring bar pliers, are your pins ok or am i missing something.

springbar4.png

Thanks, they had positive ebay reviews, i should have known they were too good to be true, another chinese product that doesn't quite live upto the task.

It looks like the pins are way too small, I'll have ago at broaching out the 0.6mm hole on the 1.6mm pin to fit a spring bar, i may get lucky.

I'd  seen a couple of youtube reviews of the chinese pliers that seem to work well with the pins fitted, but it seems to be hit and miss with some made in china stuff.

24 minutes ago, rossjackson01 said:

Got a pair. Not been able to get them to operate. Must be me.

I don't think it's you Ross,  it as to be the pins are too small and just don't fit the spring bars.

• Like 1

Agreed. Not just you Ross! I got mine because they were supposed to help on metal bracelets. Things don't hold and then I worry about slippage and scratches.

• Like 1